PDA

View Full Version : Programs Terminated Immediately

AsymptoticCoder
24th May 2008, 09:09 PM
I am having a strange issue with FC9 upgraded from FC8 using the in-place upgrade.

At the shell, when I try to execute commands, the shell sometimes immediately returns "Killed" and then prints the command prompt again.

Similarly, in GNOME, programs like Firefox and even just folder windows will simply disappear as soon as they are opened.

There does not appear to be a pattern to any of this. Any ideas? Or is there a log somewhere that might indicate what is causing this?

AsymptoticCoder
25th May 2008, 06:17 AM
I would really like some help with this. This problem has gotten incredibly irritating. Things as simple as trying to SSH to a remote server simply terminate without doing anything. As soon as I hit enter, the shell prints "Killed." Basic commands also routinely terminate without doing anything.

There is no explanation in messages or /var/mail/root.
I have also tried using a different shell (bash, I was using tcsh) but that did not work.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix this?

marko
25th May 2008, 07:30 AM
I found a case reported of this sort of thing happening under AIX (IBM's Unix)
if the stack size was set to maximum in the shell:

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.aix/2004-06/0287.html

but they didn't seem to have much of a resolution.

Is that 64bit F9?

AsymptoticCoder
25th May 2008, 06:21 PM
I believe this is indeed 64 bit FC9.

I did an in place upgrade from 32 bit FC 8, but I wasn't given an option of which architecture to install, so I believe it may have detected my CPU.

arch returns i686.

marko
25th May 2008, 06:26 PM
I believe this is indeed 64 bit FC9.

I did an in place upgrade from 32 bit FC 8, but I wasn't given an option of which architecture to install, so I believe it may have detected my CPU.

arch returns i686.

Wait a minute, I think I heard that you can't do preupgrade from
32bit to 64bit, someone on the forum said you have to fresh install
for that case?

AsymptoticCoder
25th May 2008, 06:35 PM
Perhaps that could be my problem.

Although this system is 64 bit, I accidentally installed 32 bit FC 8. Since I wasn't given a choice which FC9 to install, I am assuming it installed 64 bit, but I could be wrong.

marko
25th May 2008, 07:35 PM
you can quickly determine if it's x86_64 or i686/i386 by opening a
terminal window and typing:

uname -a

the string i686 / i386 or x86_64 will be quoted in the version line showing which one
you have