PDA

View Full Version : Booting ends with GRUB after update/reboot

hvniekerk
24th May 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I upgraded my F8/x64 to F9/x64. That went well, and I found several updates available. So I installed those and rebooted because of a new kernel. Now the boot ends with GRUB in the upper-left corner of the screen. I have boot the DVD, entered the recovery mode and can access the installation but how I can recover from this?

Thank you.

LDC
24th May 2008, 12:33 PM
seems it didn't went THAT well... :P
can you just switch kernel?

hvniekerk
24th May 2008, 01:09 PM
how can I switch the kernel if I can't boot properly? grub.conf looks like it's ok... apparently there's something wrong with the 1st stage of grub.

glennzo
24th May 2008, 01:16 PM
You can enter recovery mode with the DVD and at the prompt type chroot /mnt/sysimage, then grub-install /dev/sda assuming you have one hard disk. If there are no errors reported reboot and see if you get a boot menu. Assuming all is well to this point you should see 2 Fedora options, the old and new kernels. Try the new one. If it fails try the old one. If that works post the output of the command cat /boot/grub/menu.lst.

hvniekerk
24th May 2008, 01:37 PM
Thank you. Both kernels boot. Now just wondering what messed up Grub.

glennzo
24th May 2008, 02:13 PM
Who knows? Seems to be fairly common. The main thing is knowing how to handle it and getting it sorted, which you have now managed to do.