PDA

View Full Version : Can't Install Fedora Core 9 or 8

Boldgamer
24th May 2008, 09:40 AM
Hello. I'm new to Linux. I was trying to install Fedora 9(DVD i386) on my Dell Dimension 8400. When I try to install I get to the page that asks what keyboard layout I have then when I press next the screen turns black and hangs. I went to download Fedora 8(DVD i386) and it does almost the same thing. The only difference is that it stays on the keyboard layout screen and doesn't go black. Is Fedora not compatible with my system?

P4 3.40GHZ
ATI Radeon X300SE
250 GB SATA HD
1GB DDR2
External WD 750GB USB HD
Audiophile 2496 Sound Card
DVD-ROM
DVD +/- RW
USB keyboard
ps/2 mouse

Thanks for any help.

ivancat
24th May 2008, 09:53 AM
have you tried installing in the text mode? (to try: boot from dvd/cd and select 'install or upgrade an existing system (text mode)')

Boldgamer
24th May 2008, 06:04 PM
I tried text mode. It also stopped at the same point. I got erro messages on both ver 8 and 9. They were different though.

Fedora 9:
instal exited abnormally [1/1]
sending termination signals...done
<Tabsending kill signals...done | <Space> selects | <F12> next screen
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystems...
/mnt/runtime done...
disabling/dev/loop0
proc done
/dev/pts done
/sys done
/mnt/source done
/selinux done
you may safely reboot your system

Fedora 8:
***glibc detected*** /usr/bin/python: free(): invalid next size(fast): 0x09be0a10***

Any idea what any of this means? I think I had a problem in the past trying to install another version of Fedora on my system too. I don't think I was ever able to get it installed. I didn't ask for help then either though.

Boldgamer
25th May 2008, 07:16 AM
Has anyone else had this issue? I think I tried Fedora Core 4 on DVD a while back too and had the same issue. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Also, I am trying to install it on a system that already has XP on it if that helps any.

Boldgamer
25th May 2008, 08:17 AM
Ok. I finally got it installed (had to choose text mode hit tab and type "vesa=off"). Now I have a new problem. I have no GUI. It's all text based. Is there a way to change this?

Boldgamer
25th May 2008, 08:50 AM
Ok. I fixed this by typing start x.

Dangermouse
25th May 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi
this may help you heres how to make it pernament to save typing startx everytime
http://dnmouse.webs.com/textorgui.html

Boldgamer
25th May 2008, 06:31 PM
^^^^Thanks! Have you figured out how to stop Firefox from starting in offline mode?

Seve
25th May 2008, 06:35 PM
^^^^Thanks! Have you figured out how to stop Firefox from starting in offline mode?
Hello:

Have a read through here :
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#network

Seve