PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Problem : Cannot Receive FIles

aniketv
24th May 2008, 08:03 AM
Hi all

I have Fedora 9 and I cannot receive files from my phone via bluetooth. The phone is paired to the laptop. I have tried using both gnome-bluetooth and kdebluetooth . The phone [Nokia N75] says "sending failed" and I see no error message in /var/log/messages . I can send files to phone fine and browse the phone filesystem too, incoming connections do not work. I have disabled SELinux during install itself.
All this used to work fine in fedora 8.

Please Help :(

aniketv
27th May 2008, 07:28 PM
The Problem was solved! Dont know how , it just works now somehow like it did in Fedora 8. It was really strange.

sirkware
3rd June 2008, 12:25 PM
Now I'm having this kind of problem and I'm clueless why? It used to work with FC8. But after I upgraded to FC9, it doesnt work anymore? Any idea why?

aniketv
3rd June 2008, 06:54 PM
well one thing i noticed, the bluetooth service dies after a suspend - resume cycle. So you may want to check that. The service wont start if I did "service bluetooth start". So you have to run "hcid" as root after resume to get bluetooth running.

anonymouse
5th June 2008, 12:01 PM
I have had a similar problem sending files from Fedora 8. A couple of months ago this worked perfectly with my Sony Ericsson K810i, using the Gnome Bluetooth applet. Now the applet starts but crashes when I connect the Bluetooth USB dongle. Has something broken in the updates recently?

sirkware
11th June 2008, 09:49 AM
I still can't make this to work. I tried disabling SELinux but still unsuccessful.

I can send data from laptop/computer to phone successfully.

Any more ideas?

sirkware
18th June 2008, 09:21 AM
did some research and it seems that there is a bug in the bluez-utils.. can anybody confirm this?

sirkware
18th June 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi all

I have Fedora 9 and I cannot receive files from my phone via bluetooth. The phone is paired to the laptop. I have tried using both gnome-bluetooth and kdebluetooth . The phone [Nokia N75] says "sending failed" and I see no error message in /var/log/messages . I can send files to phone fine and browse the phone filesystem too, incoming connections do not work. I have disabled SELinux during install itself.
All this used to work fine in fedora 8.

Please Help :(

can you post what versions are you using for:

bluez-utils
gvfs
obex-data-server

I have the following versions:
bluez-utils-3.30-2.fc9.i386
gvfs-0.2.3-11.fc9.i386
obex-data-server-0.3.1-1.fc9.i386

aniketv
18th June 2008, 09:46 AM
Here are mine

bluez-utils-3.32-1.fc10.i386
gvfs-0.2.3-11.fc9.i386

If you notice , I have decided to be adventurous these days and update some buggy packages ( like kde,!!) to rawhide versions as they seem to be better than the default ones.

sirkware
19th June 2008, 02:51 AM
Here are mine

bluez-utils-3.32-1.fc10.i386
gvfs-0.2.3-11.fc9.i386

If you notice , I have decided to be adventurous these days and update some buggy packages ( like kde,!!) to rawhide versions as they seem to be better than the default ones.

I guess the fix is really on the bluez-utils-3.32 package as I have read on my researches. Anyway, I'll try to download a copy of that too and try it as well.

Thanks again..

sirkware
23rd June 2008, 08:36 AM
I got bluez-libs-3.32 from repository today and I still can't make it run. I still cant receive files from phone to my computer/laptop.

Any more ideas please?

anonymouse
23rd June 2008, 03:25 PM
In case anyone was worried about my problem (above) :-) , it's now solved. The problem was that Gnome had lost its "notification area", so the Bluetooth applet was starting up but was not displayed anywhere. I've now added it again and Bluetooth file transfers work.

Being able to delete this notification area, but still allowing applications using the area to start without warning, seems to be a Gnome bug.

majdi
18th September 2008, 09:13 PM
I can scan just fine with hcitool and it detects my phone, its showing up as running in service and my laptop can connect and send files through the GUI (Bluetooth Applet 0.26) just fine.

The problem is when I try to send files from the phone, it detects my laptop but when sending the file I get a (Sending Failed). I use a Nokia E71.

I tried disabling both selinux and the firewall just to make sure its not blocking the files being sent from my phone, I get the same result, the message on my phone says sending failed.

Same problem testing this from another phone, any idea what could be causing this or how to get it to work?

I had the following installed;

List of suspect packages
bluez-libs-3.32-1.fc9.i386
bluez-gnome-0.26-1.fc9.i386
bluez-utils-3.32-1.fc9.i386
bluez-utils-cups-3.32-1.fc9.i386
bluez-utils-alsa-3.32-1.fc9.i386

I uninstalled the following;

bluez-libs-3.32-1.fc9.i386

And Installed the newer versions;

bluez-libs-3.35-1.fc9.i386
bluez-utils-3.35-3.fc9.i386

After all this, I still have the same problem? Any idea?

majdi
19th September 2008, 10:28 PM
Anyone put this problem to rest? Please share your solution here, I still have the same problem, I checked on the Ubuntu forum and users there are complaining about the same problem after upgrading their distro to the latest version. The Ubuntu users suspect a bug with bluez-utils and suggested a downgrade, so far I have had this problem with the following versions;

bluez-utils-3.35-3.fc9.i386

Any idea?

aniketv
19th September 2008, 11:20 PM
Well, it worked for me when I used Kbluetooth , did not work in gnome.

majdi
19th September 2008, 11:46 PM
Anyone got this working in gnome?

majdi
25th September 2008, 02:50 PM
Please help, anyone got this working in gnome?

ngch
5th December 2008, 07:52 AM
I don't know if this is relevant, but this works in F10 (GNOME).

1. Go System > Preferences > Internet and Network > Personal File Sharing
2. Check Share Public files over Bluetooth
3. Check Receive files in Download folder over Bluetooth
4. Close to save settings
5. Now you (should) be able to receive files from bonded Bluetooth devices

Hope this may be the answer.

severinen
5th December 2008, 08:15 AM
hciconfig hci0 piscan
obexftpd -b <channel>
to recieve files from your nokia

severinen
5th December 2008, 08:15 AM
im sorry, to send files from your nokia to your laptop

kovshenin
10th December 2008, 01:34 AM
Hi. I still don't get it. I'm using onboard bluetooth on my laptop, running fedora 10. I can send files to my nokia 6681 but not receive, although I paired them and trusted my device.

bigboss2200
11th December 2008, 11:20 AM
I can neither send nor receive... when I try to assign a name to my PC bluetooth, nothing happens.. a screenshot may illustrate the problem

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1453/bluetoothdy5.png

when I enter ANY name inside the Friendly Name field, and change the Visibility Settings to Always visible then click OK, once I return to this window again, the whole fields are gone, and im back to point zero.. I don't know what might be the problem.. and any help would be appreciated..

Running kernel 2.6.27.7-134.fc10.i686
Packages installed:
bluez-4.19-1.fc10.i386
gvfs-1.0.3-1.fc10.i386
1:obex-data-server-0.4.1-1.fc10.i386

mr_br0wn
12th December 2008, 02:23 AM
I see that your screenie isn't showing your device at all. I had a similar problem, the command hciconfig showed that I had a bluetooth device but it wasn't listed in bluetooth-applet. I still haven't fixed everything but it seems that this is all related to a security flaw in dbus. Updating dbus seems to have broken several other apps that require it including bluetooth-applet.

My issues started about a week ago when I updated, to get things halfway working again I grabbed PolicyKit and almost all of the bluez packages from the fedora updates-testing repo. Here's the command I used:

yum --enablerepo updates-testing install PolicyKit bluez bluez-alsa bluez-cups bluez-gnome bluez-libs gvfs-obexftp

I can see my phone and bluetooth dongle now, I can even bond the two. Sending and receiving files still doesn't work though.

On a similar note the backlight on my keyboard stopped working at the same time bluetooth quit. Probably related to the dbus update. Waiting for updates might be the best way to resolve this.

paspro
13th December 2008, 05:52 PM
After the latest update, I have the exact same problem to the one you describe.

Dead1nside
23rd January 2009, 01:50 AM

I just wanted to say thanks, that's solved my problem when trying to send files over bluetooth from my Nokia N82 to Fedora 10.

It'd be nice if you could get it do do a 'Save As' prompt like it does on Windows, instead of being in downloads all the time. Plus there's a little icon that looks like a pyramid with radio waves coming out of the top - that's turned up in the notification area after receiving the file... it doesn't have any actions with left or right click and doesn't disappear.

I didn't see a notification of receiving the file either, even though I had this option checked in the 'Personal File Sharing' settings.

jsmcortina
20th February 2009, 01:18 AM
Bluetooth in FC10 broke for me as well. Had been working nicely in FC9 once I'd learned of the Notification Area.

But recently it is unfortunately useless.
hcitool finds my phone.
I can pair to it via the applet, but I now get Obex errors whenever I try to browse files on the device.

I tried updating with the test option as above and it is still broken.

The phone and USB dongle work ok under Windows on my laptop.

The error message I am seeing most often is:

Could not display "obex://[00:12: D2:6D:05:E9]/".
Error: Connection to the device lost
Please select another viewer and try again.

Overall my experience of FC10 has been poor. I wish I had stayed with FC9 as it had less bugs.
(Sound was broken, bluetooth is now broken and Gnome won't save application settings.)

any help appreciated

James

jsmcortina
7th May 2009, 12:57 PM
A subsequent auto-update fixed this problem.

James

hunger
4th June 2009, 09:42 AM

This totally worked for me. Thanks a bunch!

arirushan
29th July 2009, 04:03 AM
Hi All,

I have same problem sending file from mobile phone to my laptop. Receiving is fine
I have had similiar issue when I still used F9/F10 then I did a yum update then the problem was gone.
Now I am using F11 and the problem occurs again.
My BT packages :
gnome-bluetooth-2.27.5-1.fc11.i586
bluez-4.42-1.fc11.i586
bluez-cups-4.42-1.fc11.i586
gnome-bluetooth-libs-2.27.5-1.fc11.i586
bluecurve-cursor-theme-8.0.2-3.fc11.noarch
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.15-14.fc11.i586
bluez-libs-4.42-1.fc11.i586

I do not have KDE.

Hopefully someone can figure out what's really the problem

Regards,

Ari

arirushan
29th July 2009, 04:13 AM
Problem solved by using Ngch solution.
Sorry but didn't see that there is actually second page exist.
Anyway Thanks Ngch.

To my opinion I like the old BT interface better, when we doesn't need to configure personal file sharing first, and we could directly do it all from the bluetooth preference.
This is kind of confusing.

Thanks a million everybody.

Regads,

Ari