PDA

View Full Version : Installing software (I know, very vague)

goemon4
24th May 2008, 03:51 AM
But im new to Fedora 9, I haven't use id since FC8, but what happened to the software installer? I can only install one thing at a time, and its becoming very annoying when your trying to set up your system and have to waste all that time going one by one. I guess im used to Zenwalk's installer, but if i recall correctly,FC8 used to be able to handle multiple packages in its installer/GUI.

I know, its probably asked daily, but its just awkward to search for, so i apologize if its an easy answer.

Thanks a lot,
-goemon4

Seve
24th May 2008, 04:07 AM
Hello:
I can only offer a suggestion and not a complete solution to your question.

yum -y install yumex

and use yum extender [yumex] to search, update and install the packages you want.

Seve

goemon4
24th May 2008, 04:16 AM
Ahh, yeah, that would work, but is there a way to install the old GUI? I don't mind using yum in the terminal or anything, I just sometimes prefer the GUI. But if that's the only option, I may just go back to Zen, since its a real pain. Makes me wonder why the Fedora team decided this... Then again, I shouldn't be so lazy. :p

(Edit - forget being lazy, this is just ridiculous, its taken 17 minutes for the GUI installer to install Banshee, this is madness! Talk about time consuming, especially getting things one by one! And I really liked FC9, what a kill joy)

Thanks

Seve
24th May 2008, 04:23 AM
Hello:
I don't know of any way of going backwards with the old GUI [pirut]

I have never used anything but yum or yumex myself.

Have you used yumex ?

It's a gui frontend for yum and very user friendly.
I would give it at least 1 try before you bail on F9, however, that's up to you. :)

Seve

goemon4
24th May 2008, 04:32 AM
I'm in the process of trying it now, I'm just saying, the default app should be changed. Its daft to have it how it is, it could really turn new adaptors off the distro. A GUI for yum sounds great though, thanks for the tip!

Seve
24th May 2008, 04:35 AM
Hello:
The Forum is just Users helping Users and the Developers do not monitor the forums.
If you have a suggestion / etc. you should check out this link
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

Seve

goemon4
24th May 2008, 04:57 AM
Gotcha, thanks a lot! I'll defiantly leave some input into this, and Yum Extender works just fine, so yeah, thanks again!