PDA

View Full Version : Help with kde

epattam
24th May 2008, 12:11 AM
I normally use Gnome ..but heard a lot about the new kde and wanted to try it out, in the process i dont even remember what i clicked the title bar for all my windows in kde is gone.. How can bring em back? but the fedora team has done great job with this new release ... this was the most painless upgrade i have done..

when i login to kde the chime that plays by default ... well it does not play immediately after login ... it takes some time.. that's not a big issue..just wanted to point that out...... kde 4 is looking good though... so if someone could tell me how to get my title bar back that would be great :D

one other thing .. I could not type anything in the console through kde..

marcrblevins
24th May 2008, 10:19 AM
What title bar?

epattam
24th May 2008, 06:37 PM
The top bar that is part of the window frame which has close, maximize and minimize buttons

Hlingler
24th May 2008, 06:58 PM
Hi epattam:

The symptoms that you describe in Post #1 are familiar to me: I see this when the Window Manager crashes, which it only does when I'm running Compiz-Fusion (in which case, it can be compiz, or kwin that crashes, depending on which is running). The inability to type into a konsole aggravates the problem. The usual recovery for me is to either switch or re-start the window manager from fusion-icon on the panel - but sometimes, if kwin is set as the window manager and crashes, or fusion-icon isn't running or accessible, there is no recovery except to re-start X-server (which terminates the desktop session and any running/open apps under it).

Not sure if this is what is going on with your box, but if you can, try to re-start the window manager.

V

johnpeach
26th May 2008, 10:01 PM
I agree that the upgrade was easy, however, I cannot agree about KDE 4; it has to be the worst window-manager I have come across. It is so bad, that I took the drastic step of trashing fedora completely and installing kubuntu hardy in its place, where KDE 3 will be supported until the end of Q3 2009. Hopefully, by then, there may be an easy way to customise it.
I do not want a Vista-lookalike and I could find no way of customising it to suit my requirements.

lynz
26th May 2008, 10:35 PM
Just restart you windowmanager. For KDE it used to be called kwin. Preff Alt + F2 and type
"kwin" or "kwin --replace"

epattam
12th June 2008, 11:04 PM
i tried that but no luck , my window frames are stilll missing

marcrblevins
13th June 2008, 12:25 AM
Sould rought but try:

su -
cd /home/"whatever your normal username was"
rm -rf .kde

Log off GNome
Does it make a difference?

Hlingler
13th June 2008, 01:49 AM
i tried that but no luck , my window frames are stilll missingSometimes, it takes me several re-starts of the window manager to get it to cooperate. Right or wrong, good or bad, I just hammer at the reload button until it gives in and decides to work. :D

V