PDA

View Full Version : KDE4 help

indietrash
23rd May 2008, 08:25 PM
I might just be stupid or something, but could anyone please provide some help for KDE4? I have some questions,

1. how does one add new panels?
2. how does one map the mouse actions for the desktop (I want it so that when I press the middle button/scroll wheel - the K-menu appears)?
3. how does one map the keyboard buttons? this really confuses me. all I want to do is make backspace = up in Konqueror.
4. why are there two EN icons in the status thing, and when I right click them I get errr Asian stuff that I can't read?
5. HOW does one use multiple sessions? why isn't there a simple "new login" like on KDE3.5? I can't see any logical reason for changing that feature. it was perfect. anyway - how does it work in KDE4?
6. how does one make "show hidden files" default in every map?

please help with any qs you can :)

p.s.
nVidia drivers for the newest xorg? when?

edit:
seriously I think it hates me. I tried changing the file associations to make KTorrent be the standard for .torrents - but Miro still is when e.g. I try to download from FX and "open file" instead of "save as". oh and I also tried making backspace = up, but it just.. .doesn't listen to me. can't even get kmix to work (super+plus should equal volume up, and super+minus should equal volume down).

marcrblevins
24th May 2008, 10:42 AM
5. HOW does one use multiple sessions? why isn't there a simple "new login" like on KDE3.5? I can't see any logical reason for changing that feature. it was perfect. anyway - how does it work in KDE4?

Beats me, it was so annoying as well, stuck on Gnome when Fedora 9 installed and not able to use KDE.

Finally, tried:

su -
yum install switchdesk
switchdesk

marcrblevins
24th May 2008, 10:43 AM
Noted, after Switchdesk was installed, I can now choose session flavor at the login screen, look at the bottom.

indietrash
24th May 2008, 01:12 PM
I think I suck at describing my problems. I didn't mean that I wanted to e.g. use another desktop environment, but that I want to e.g. be logged in with three users at the same time, and switch between these sessions (with ctrl+alt+f7, f8, f9 and so on).

rdieter
25th May 2008, 03:36 AM
F(K) -> Leave -> Switch User

indietrash
29th May 2008, 12:49 PM
doesn't work. I get this thing:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7378/snapshot2yg5.png

and when I click "launch", nothing happens.

mik93
29th May 2008, 01:05 PM
I agree ! I've the same problem. what is one supposed to do at that window ? - all it ever shows is session.

p.s. i gave up with kde4 and am using gnome untill we get a full release with everything working.

Mike

indietrash
29th May 2008, 01:16 PM
when I start a KDE4 session, there are three things that might happen.

(in order of frequency)

1. kwin crashes and I can't do anything save for err use Firefox that starts automatically because I haven't closed it properly. oh and I can't use the toolbar. only the browser itself. hurrah!
2. everything is pitch black save for a little blue line at the bottom that eventually goes black.
3. everything is blurry and spaced out, and eventually it freezes and I need to restart x.

I installed it with Dangermouse's script. I have an ASUS card with an nVidia 7600GS chipset. I'm on Fedora 9.

edit:
awwww #1 apparently freezes too after a while.

rdieter
29th May 2008, 01:42 PM
Rats, I can't reproduce the failure, it works fine here. Ah, seems this only works if you're using kdm, instead of gdm. /etc/sysconfig/desktop needs to contain:
DESKTOPMANAGER=kde
and/or
rpm -e gdm
and then reboot (or switch runlevels 5->3->5 if you're comfortable with that, simply restarting X is not sufficient).

indietrash
29th May 2008, 01:58 PM
ok. I'll try it when I get KDE to work (at all). I'm having some... problems. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1021155#post1021155

wneumann
29th May 2008, 02:09 PM
There are nvidia kernel modules for fc9 posted on livna today. They work fine for me.

indietrash
29th May 2008, 02:17 PM
errr... yeah. that they're working for you doesn't help me much. but congrats :p
as far as I know, Dangermouse's script uses those.

I have installed,
kmod-nvidia
kmod-nvidia-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs (i386)

leigh123linux
29th May 2008, 02:28 PM
Threads merged ! , Please don't double / cross post again !

indietrash
29th May 2008, 02:30 PM
well the problems were completely different but anyway... KDE4 is still useless. anyone?

indietrash
29th May 2008, 08:22 PM
Rats, I can't reproduce the failure, it works fine here. Ah, seems this only works if you're using kdm, instead of gdm. /etc/sysconfig/desktop needs to contain:
DESKTOPMANAGER=kde
and/or
rpm -e gdm
and then reboot (or switch runlevels 5->3->5 if you're comfortable with that, simply restarting X is not sufficient).

I don't have any desktop file in that folder?

rdieter
29th May 2008, 08:31 PM
Then create /etc/sysconfig/desktop, containing
DESKTOPMANAGER=kde

lendrick
29th May 2008, 08:53 PM
You can work around the Kwin/nvidia black screen problem by waiting a few seconds for everything to start up, and then pressing CTRL-F8. That will activate the desktop grid feature and for some reason cause everything to start displaying normally again.

marcrblevins
29th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Either did I, but I created that desktop file and now kdm boots up like a charm.

For you:

su -
cd /etc/sysconfig
touch desktop

Use your fav editor on that desktop file and add the KDE lines.

Mine says:

[root@kiriyamablevins ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
[root@kiriyamablevins ~]#

Orioner
30th May 2008, 08:26 AM
OK I've got switchdesk installed ok but am required to close Gnome desktop and restart X before KDE will boot desktop. Having trouble with procedure. How do I shut Gnome desktop, presumably to a command, so I can restart
X? Ctrl, Alt,F1 takes me to a login prompt, then ??? Tnx

leigh123linux
30th May 2008, 10:13 AM
OK I've got switchdesk installed ok but am required to close Gnome desktop and restart X before KDE will boot desktop. Having trouble with procedure. How do I shut Gnome desktop, presumably to a command, so I can restart
X? Ctrl, Alt,F1 takes me to a login prompt, then ??? Tnx

Try

su -
gdm-stop

rdieter
30th May 2008, 04:06 PM
Simply restarting X is insufficient, you need to reboot (or change runlevels 5->3->5) for this change to take effect.

aniketv
31st May 2008, 10:07 AM
Hello , I am running KDE 4.1 Beta and I cant get the volume keys on my lappy (Dell Vostro 1400) to work with Kmix. It worked initially but then suddenly stopped working for no reason. Has anyone had success getting this to work!?

marcelkraan
1st June 2008, 09:57 AM
i have the ame problem
i can 't change the fileaccosiations
is does not work well in settings

seriously I think it hates me. I tried changing the file associations to make KTorrent be the standard for .torrents - but Miro still is when e.g. I try to download from FX and "open file" instead of "save as". oh and I also tried making backspace = up, but it just.. .doesn't listen to me. can't even get kmix to work (super+plus should equal volume up, and super+minus should equal volume down).[/QUOTE]

Orioner
1st June 2008, 09:51 PM
Well, I got KDE booting ok, but desktop has no task bar and terminal will not accept typing. and get message KDInit will not start. Can't do anything with it so I'll stick with Gnome. I'll wait for KDE upgrades. What a hassle!! (I removed KDE profile manager addition to /etc/sysconfig/desktop as it didn't make any difference.)

av1611
2nd June 2008, 12:03 AM
All I can suggest is you do what I did: After being diehard KDE user for 5 years I surrendered to the darkside. Gnome. It's the only viable option now. Nothing works in KDE4. No desktop icons, no saving files to desktop, etc. the startbar doesn't display correctly on highter resolutions, random crashes, etc. etc. etc.

Anyways, Gnome just works better now, and we can still use K apps so I just d/l'ed a nice theme and made the switch.

Sorry, but it's the answer I found.

mik93
2nd June 2008, 10:19 PM
I totally agree with av1611. I followed the same path - there is a learning curve but it's not that steep.

sailor
2nd June 2008, 10:59 PM
Yup I am fed up with KDE as well...not sure what they were trying to do with it but it is useless. I have reinstalled F9 3 times...every time I start to modify the panel it disappears completely. Gnome is working but I refuse to use it...so it looks like xfce or flux :(

Orioner
3rd June 2008, 03:32 AM
Posted a very critical comment in Red Hat Magazine about the difficulties with KDE4. Contrary to the laudatory article about it and encourage others to read the article and assess it for themselves.

cloneu2
3rd June 2008, 05:55 AM
Yup I am fed up with KDE as well...not sure what they were trying to do with it but it is useless. I have reinstalled F9 3 times...every time I start to modify the panel it disappears completely. Gnome is working but I refuse to use it...so it looks like xfce or flux :(

KDE is wonderful if you want to trash your machine. I have used it for over 5 years BUT now have to stick with gnome for my desktop. The latest version in rawhide seems to work a bit better BUT my machine has other problems with rawhide so for Fedora 9 guess it is gnome KDE has missed the boat and is sinking fast!

beer_hunter
3rd June 2008, 06:23 AM
i gave up with KDE 4 aswell, first impressions were like "i've got a snapshot of some new desktop, where's the full version?", then after 2 days of fight with desktop and panel, i just simply switched my session back to gnome. Im just missing the KDE 3.5.9 package from F8 :( maybe there is some way to install KDE3 instead or next to KDE4?