PDA

View Full Version : Need minimal install on Pentium III computer

worldttle
23rd May 2008, 04:34 PM
I'd like to turn a vintage Pentium III computer with 500 mb ram into a media player to access mp3 files across my home network.

I tried running FC9 off a Live CD but it would only boot into the text interface even though the install notes indicate it should have enough resources to run a graphical interface.

How do I limit the install to only the components I need (Samba, audio player)? Would an earlier release such as FC8 may be more suitable?

Thanks.

Hlingler
23rd May 2008, 04:50 PM
F8-XFCE4-LiveCD spin is made exactly for such missions. Search forums for links/threads by rahul sundaram and XFCE4-LiveCD spin.

V

worldttle
23rd May 2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've downloaded F8-XFCE4-LiveCD and try booting it on my Pentium III computer. The boot sequence proceeds fine until 'starting udev', when the screen goes blank and the computer hangs.

I can boot from the same CD on a newer computer and the boot sequence goes into a graphical interface when it gets to 'starting udev' and proceeds fine.

The Pentium III computer boots into Windows 98 fine. Maybe F8-XFCE4-LiveCD doesn't like the graphics system on the computer? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

maladeus
24th May 2008, 12:16 AM
Yes, when in grub awaiting the countdown to boot edit the boot parameter and delete the quiet part. That should give you some messages which should help sorting out things.

Hlingler
24th May 2008, 12:35 AM
Also, you can skip the fancy graphical install and just do an old-fashioned "n-curses" based text install by giving the installer the "linux text" command - interrupt the countdown, and at some very early point you'll see some messages: F1-xxx F2-yyy F3-zzz etc etc etc find the one that gives a text-only install, or find a text-prompt where you can type: linux text.

500 MB RAM is way more than 192 MB minimum required for graphical install, but maybe old graphics chipset/card is throwing graphical installer for a loop?

Good Luck, let us know how it works out,
V

worldttle
25th May 2008, 06:08 PM
Finally figured out that, at least in my case, by deleting 'rhgb' (red hat graphical boot) from the boot parameters did the trick. F8-XFCE4-LiveCD still is able to boot into the graphical interface but my computer somehow choked on rhgb.

Thanks for all the suggestions.