PDA

View Full Version : File transfer from old installation

supergluehero
23rd May 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi, I have recently installed Fedora 9 on a new laptop, my old laptop has Fedora 8. I can't turn on my old laptop due to a power issue, but I want to recover some files from my home directory.

I have removed the hard drive and put it into a USB caddy, it seems to have mounted OK. But the only file I see is "ldlinux.sys". Is this something to do with security? Do I need to mount the drive in a certain way?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

drunkahol
23rd May 2008, 11:20 AM
Do an 'fdisk -l' as root to see what partitions are available. It's feasible that the automount could have mounted the wrong partition.

You could umount (all?) the partition(s) on the USB storage and then mount them manually by hand.

Cheers

Duncan

southpole
23rd May 2008, 12:47 PM
One thing I have to wrestle with is this LVM setup. I had installed Fedora 8 using the default installation setup. This means that everything was installed under LVM and the partitions are in that "envelope." Gparted doesn't see anything under LVM as a mountable file system.

With time constraints I just ended up booting up with the old system drive and using a large USB storage device to back things up to. Then I switched drives to boot from my new installation of Fedora 9 and copied all the pertinent files onto the new LVM.

I just know there is a "proper" way to do this. I have no idea what to use for a mount command or its LVM equivalent...like my experiences with Veritas.

Cheers!
Juergen