PDA

View Full Version : How can I run installed programs?

solomon
23rd May 2008, 01:51 AM
I have installed one small program called calcurse. I found the program by Yun Extender. Everything was fine, but I can start the it. I can't find it under All Aplications (KDE). Tried with run command but didn't help.
Another question, how van I put shortcut of some new installed application under All Applications?

scottro
23rd May 2008, 02:02 AM
I can't help with the kde stuff--I'm guessing there's a way to add apps, but hopefully, someone who knows will help.

Sometimes a program might have a different title than expected. There are different ways to find out. It might have installed a man page. (You can try man calcurse.)
Ok, I just took a look, it seems as if it should start if you just type
calcurse
at a terminal. (Why it wouldn't work if you use the run command, I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot.)
If you get command not found, it's possible it was installed in some weird place. In that case, you can try using the find command, but frankly, I find it easier to run
updatedb
(as root). That will update a database locating all files on your computer.

Then do
locate calcurse |less

That will let you know where it's hiding.

(Or, you can wait, and hopefully, someone with more KDE knowledge, or calcurse knowledge, will see this and give you a better answer.) :)

PabloTwo
23rd May 2008, 02:10 AM
When I did 'yum info calcurse', the information that came to me would indicate that calcurse is a text mode only calendar and scheduler program. In other words, no GUI. Open a command line terminal and type calcurse then hit ENTER and see what happens.

Can't help you with KDE, I've never used it.

solomon
23rd May 2008, 02:13 AM
Thanks a lot, from some reason it works when I try it from terminal, but it didn't work with run command.
Now, i hope somebody will answer my second question.

PabloTwo
23rd May 2008, 02:19 AM
To expand a bit upon what scottro elaborated about finding file locations, you can see exactly what files and where they were placed on your system from an installed rpm package by using this form of the rpm command:

rpm -ql calcurse

ppesci
23rd May 2008, 02:37 AM
Ok, I am the expected KDE guy (TADAAAAAAA) :).

Right click on your desktop

Select Create New > Link to Application

It will show a window with 4 tabs

In general tab put something like: calcurse application
In application tab see the command field. Put: calcurse
Click on Advanced Options in the same tab and check in: Run in Terminal box

And that's all. You can see many many other options you can use.

Excuse that gnome people, they doesn't have a decent GUI.

That was a joke of course. Gnome is fine too (but KDE is way better). Don't flame me. :)

HTH

solomon
23rd May 2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you very much.

savage
23rd May 2008, 08:54 AM
To follow up from ppesci, if you want an icon in the menu, right-click on the K icon, and 'Edit Menu', it's pretty much the same process.

The current menu is shown as a directory structure, so just navigate to where you want the icon, and click 'New Item'.

Commands are in ppesci's post above.

solomon
24th May 2008, 01:02 AM
Right click on your desktop

Select Create New > Link to Application

It will show a window with 4 tabs

In general tab put something like: calcurse application
In application tab see the command field. Put: calcurse
Click on Advanced Options in the same tab and check in: Run in Terminal box

And that's all. You can see many many other options you can use.

After I did what you say I have calcurse on desktop but no in All Applications, but still thats good.

ppesci
24th May 2008, 06:43 AM
Sorry, I do not read that. To put the application in the appicatons menu, use:

Settings > Menu Editor

You can then to add your app in the menu where you want.

OH, but savage already said that. :).

HTH