PDA

View Full Version : Help With Install

benmarbot
23rd May 2008, 12:10 AM
When i finish the install thing and reboot i finish the setup agent and then in puts me on a dos page that says some stuff and the login:. so i log in with the root pass but it just stays on that page can someone please help me .

P.S. i am trying to in stall fedora 9

Wayne
23rd May 2008, 12:36 AM
after logging in as root, you can see if the GUI will start by typing:

startx

But I'm guessing it won't, so type:

system-config-display

to set up your video hardware. It might also be a good idea to tell us what that is so we can help you further.

Wayne

benmarbot
23rd May 2008, 11:49 AM
it says something about an x server error

Wayne
23rd May 2008, 11:57 AM
You'd better post what video card your using and the output of:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

to help the smart guys here help you. No, I'm not one of them :)

Wayne

benmarbot
23rd May 2008, 12:52 PM
it says card 0 and i dont know how to do what ur telling me

P.S. i am trying to run it on parallels on a mac if it helps

bryancole
23rd May 2008, 01:36 PM
The beta-version of Xorg in F9 has bugs in various drivers. It may be that these have been fixed so, after logging in as root, try to update the system. type "yum -y update" and hit return. This should install all current updates. After this has completed (it may take a while), try restarting the X-server: type "gdm-restart" or (if this doesn't work) "startx".

If things are still broken, then you need to copy your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the X-server log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) to another machine from where you can post it here. I don't know the best way to do this (I never used a mac): if your VM can mount USB-drives, you can copy the files onto one of those, or you could transfer them by sftp or smb to your mac.

benmarbot
23rd May 2008, 04:11 PM
thx it helped alot ... i think

benmarbot
23rd May 2008, 05:40 PM
i need more help

benmarbot
24th May 2008, 02:49 AM
i did the update but still nothing works