PDA

View Full Version : Can you make F9 look like F7?

Murrquan
23rd May 2008, 12:09 AM
The first distro of Linux I ever tried was Fedora 7, and I fell in love immediately. Kudos to the Fedora Art Project! That is the most "wow"ed I have ever been by an operating system.

Sadly, Fedora 7 is no longer supported. How do I made Fedora 9 look like it? I mean the bootloader, login screen and all. I imagine they've got tutorials at gnome-look.org, and from there it shouldn't be too difficult to just copy the right files from Fedora 7 ... right? Or are there parts I can't change, and/or would the added functionality of F9's new login screen mess it up somehow?

Dan
23rd May 2008, 12:27 AM
I don't know about the new login screen. However, the art from F7 is still available here -- http://people.redhat.com/dfong/fc7graphics/

Dan

Murrquan
23rd May 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks!

I'd really like to revert the login screen, if I could ...

Wayne
23rd May 2008, 01:02 AM
I believe some of the older themes are in the Fedora repo, fire up Yumex and take a look...

Wayne

tameboy
23rd May 2008, 01:02 PM
The first distro of Linux I ever tried was Fedora 7, and I fell in love immediately. Kudos to the Fedora Art Project! That is the most "wow"ed I have ever been by an operating system.

Me too. I have resisted upgrading until now for the same reason. Glad it was not just me.

I read elsewhere that the theme for Fedora 7 was considered 'over the top', so thought I was perhaps in a minority that appreciated the visuals of that release.

Dan
23rd May 2008, 01:22 PM
Aye. Some did consider it over the top, however both FC6 and F7 had some of the most popular artwork in fedora to date.

That being said, like anything else in a community maintained distro, feedback before the publishing date is always welcome. If you have talents leaning to visual arts, the art team can always use good help.

Just go to the wiki page at the fedora website, and drill down to the artwork team, and join up.

Murrquan
23rd May 2008, 02:01 PM
Me too. I have resisted upgrading until now for the same reason. Glad it was not just me.

I read elsewhere that the theme for Fedora 7 was considered 'over the top', so thought I was perhaps in a minority that appreciated the visuals of that release.

I heard that too! Personally, I thought it was beautiful. Now everything else I try looks ugly and spartan by comparison.

That being said, like anything else in a community maintained distro, feedback before the publishing date is always welcome. If you have talents leaning to visual arts, the art team can always use good help.

Just go to the wiki page at the fedora website, and drill down to the artwork team, and join up.

If I knew any artists using Fedora, I'd let them know. ^.^ That's a good reminder, though, thanks!