PDA

View Full Version : fedora 9, firefox 3, slacker.com

glb
22nd May 2008, 06:31 PM
Hi,

When I browse to slacker.com and click play on the music player, firefox 3 hangs/crashes. When it is hung, the player indicates that it is "buffering" and firefox's status bar indicates that it is "transferring data". It used to work in fedora 8 with firefox 2. Also, when I force firefox to quit, two buttons appear on the taskbar, both of which are labelled npviewer.bin but neither of which will maximize/restore. When I force one of them to quit, they both go away.

That it doesn't play is probably a problem with slacker.com's player more than firefox, but in my reasoning, no web application should be able to make firefox crash.

If anyone knows how to make it work, I'm interested in the solution that you have found.

Thanks,
gb

slysnake
29th May 2008, 06:55 PM
I loaded libflashsupport and it started working

glb
29th May 2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks! I'll try that.

gb

glb
29th May 2008, 08:27 PM
It didn't work for me. Slacker appears to have been changed to pop up a dialog box indicating that it requires Adobe Flash Player 8 or above though which is certainly an improvement over crashing without an indication of what the problem was. The odd thing is that I do have the flash plugin installed as shown below.

[root@eb2024-00 firefox-3.0b5]# yum info flash-plugin
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
Name : flash-plugin
Arch : i386
Version : 9.0.124.0
Release : release
Size : 7.8 M
Repo : installed
Summary : Adobe Flash Player 9.0
URL : http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
License : Commercial
Description: Adobe Flash Plugin 9.0.124.0 Fully Supported: Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.0+, Firefox 1.5+, Mozilla 1.7.13+

Shockwave Flash is also listed under Tools->Add-ons in Firefox.

I was going to check that the link to the library was present under the /usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5 directory, but the "plugins" directory no longer seems to be present. This is a bit of a worry for me as I use that directory to install a lot of plugins (or at least I used to). Now that it isn't there. I wonder how one would go about installing plugins for things like mplayer and the like. Maybe I can just create the directory?

Any other ideas as to how to get Slacker to work? I'm hoping that it isn't broken because I have install Adobe Flash Player 9 or something.

gb

glb
29th May 2008, 09:12 PM
If anyone else is wondering, the proper plugins directory to use for firefox is apparently /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

The Slacker Player is still telling me that I need Adobe Flash Player 8 or above even though firefox is showing that Adobe Flash Player 9 is installed (according to the "about: plugins" address).

gb

slysnake
30th May 2008, 03:06 PM
Do you have libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins if not do a search and see if you can find it. If so just copy it into the plugins.

glb
30th May 2008, 03:26 PM
The file is present. Thanks for trying to help, but it is still a no go. I am going to attempt to attach a screenshot (31KB) showing the error.

[root@eb2024-00 images]# locate libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so

Attachment:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16222&stc=1

glb
30th May 2008, 03:29 PM
A little off topic, but I think that I have found a small bug in the FedoraForum Attachment Manager. If you use the "close this window" link in the upper right rather than the main button at the bottom, it doesn't seem to generate the link properly.

gb

slysnake
30th May 2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry but have been away from fedora a while just getting back. Trying to use in place of vista I think windows is well over price. Its problems like this that stops the avg user from going to a linux base version.

glb
30th May 2008, 05:07 PM
As I said at the start of my post, it worked fine in Fedora 8. I don't blame Fedora for these "problems". I upgraded to Fedora 9 knowing full well that it was likely to have a few bugs because it is so cutting/bleeding edge. I think that it is a shame that people are turned off by these small issues. In my opinion, the issues that I have encountered are trivial. And I have encountered several. To list a few, the "nv" open source nvidia driver performs too poorly for me to play freedoom (and probably other graphic intensive games as well, but that is the only one that I have tried) and I cannot install the proprietary nvidia drivers because they don't work with xorg 7.4 yet, audacity does not seem to be able to record due to the new pulseaudio system in Fedora 9, and slaker.com doesn't work. None of these issues are critical to me though. I am using Fedora 9 as my workstation at work to rewrite my departments website to be xhtml 1.0 compliant and, in the process, migrating it from an IIS/ASP.NET environment to apache/AxKit2. Fedora 9 still works fine for my mission critical stuff (gmail, httpd, perl development, etc). I've been using Amarok as an alternative music source (I've found that the "4U Classic Rock - #1 Classic Rock Station" has a music selection that I like) and I really don't have time to be playing games anyway.

To appease that portion of their user base whom are easily turned off by these minor issues, I would suggest that Fedora always label the latest public release of their OS beta (e.g. Fedora 9B) and not name it as stable until the next release is out (i.e. Fedora 9B would become Fedora 9 only after Fedora 10B was released). Such a naming system would probably make it clearer to the end users that the newest release is always very experimental and would give users like myself who don't mind these problems time to report the problems and find solutions.

sorry for the long post,
gb

glb
30th May 2008, 05:10 PM
I did remove the pulseaudio packages and their dependencies when I was trying to get audacity to work; I wonder if that could be related to my problem with slaker.com's player not working? Other than the removal of the pulseaudio packages and the addition of the adobe's flash player, my Fedora 9 installation is pretty much "out of the box"/normal.

gb

tameboy
30th May 2008, 05:47 PM
To appease that portion of their user base whom are easily turned off by these minor issues, I would suggest that Fedora always label the latest public release of their OS beta (e.g. Fedora 9B) and not name it as stable until the next release is out (i.e. Fedora 9B would become Fedora 9 only after Fedora 10B was released). Such a naming system would probably make it clearer to the end users that the newest release is always very experimental and would give users like myself who don't mind these problems time to report the problems and find solutions.

I think that sounds like a good idea. I have installed F9 and whilst I am generally happy with it, given the time again I would probably have installed F8 and avoided some of the relatively minor irritations (FF3 beta being the worst aspect for me).

John5342
2nd June 2008, 03:45 PM
On the subject of PulseAudio interfering with Audacity i think the real solution is to patch Audacity to work properly with PulseAudio but there is a workaround that doesnt involve uninstalling PulseAudio and losing its benefits.

pasuspender -- <command to be run>

It simply halts pulseaudio while the program is running and then sets it off again when it has ended. Fixed my problems with any programs that depended on using alsa directly but didnt work with pulseaudio.

Never had any problems with the flashplayer myself. I sure you have already done this but i assume you have already run "mozilla-plugin-config -i" as root after installing the plugin?

glb
2nd June 2008, 03:58 PM
Actually, I hadn't run that command nor was I aware of it. Also, I clicked "OK" on the prompt that came up on slaker.com and tried the play button anyway just now and it worked (without even running the command that you suggested)! Talk about a silly oversight! Apparently, the message doesn't mean that the flash player wasn't detected, it is just "informal". I have no idea when it started working, but it must have been something that slacker changed because I have not put any new updates on my system or changed it's configuration in any way since the last time that I tried the player and it crashed firefox. I take this to mean that neither fedora nor firefox nor adobe's player were ever to blame for this problem. Thanks for the hint about the pulse audio suspender command. I'll try that sometime soon and see if it works.

gb

glb
2nd June 2008, 04:07 PM
Another quick comment about patching Audacity to work with PulseAudio ...

I did read a few comments about that subject on Audacity's forum when I was looking into getting it to work. As I understand it, PulseAudio is sort of an additional layer that works on top of the other audio subsystems like alsa. The problem with having audacity work "through" the pulseaudio system is that it would create too many performance delays what with the intermediate buffering and all. It does still seem that PulseAudio ought to have an API to provide a "direct" connection with the hardware though. I really don't know what all the reasons/issues are but I do know that these things are complicated so I try to give the programmers the benefit of the doubt and am very thankful for what they have given me and the rest of the community AT NO CHARGE!

gb