PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install nVidia drivers in FC9?

jdcollins
22nd May 2008, 06:07 PM
Hi guys I recently installed FC9 on a computer and I feel as if I am going around in a big circle trying to get everything to work! I've found that I need to install the nVidia drivers for my graphics card - FX 5500. Anyways I downloaded the driver package and when it started to install it said something about needing to compile a kernel module. It attempted to download this via ftp from nVidia's site but was not able to find anything. I read the how to and it said if I can find the kernel source I can do it, but I have no idea where to get the kernel source. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

scotty38
22nd May 2008, 06:19 PM
Have a search around this site for nVidia, you'll find more information than you can shake a stick at.....

PabloTwo
22nd May 2008, 06:24 PM
The good news: You can get the package the Nvidia installer is looking for by doing

yum install kernel-devel
If you don't have a 'c' compiler yet, which the installer also needs, you get that with

yum install gcc
The bad news: F9 has a newer version of the X-server, which the Nvidia drivers are not yet compatible with, so any nvidia driver kernel module you might build, won't work anyway. Like many others, you'll need to wait for Nvidia to update their Linux driver package to include support for the newer X-server that resides in F9.

edit: And, as pointed out in the post above, a simple search on the forum would have provided you with ample information on this subject.