PDA

View Full Version : i lost yum

jody
22nd May 2008, 05:36 PM
I am currently installing fedora8 x86_64.
To clean up a little bit, i removed the kde desktop environment using pirut.
pirut suddenly crashed and now there is no more yum, pirut or pup.

How can i get my yum back?
Help is very much appreciated!

Jody

stoat
22nd May 2008, 05:56 PM
Hello jody,

You might get an idea in another thread here (http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=187104) where a similar thing happened. In that thread the victim re-installed yum using the LiveCD and its yum to re-install yum on the hard drive system. I did it for fun. It works.

P.S.: After you get yum back, you can examine /var/log/yum.log to see what else was deleted that you may want to re-install. See, when a package is deleted, yum will delete things that depend upon it, too. But when you re-install that package, those other things are not necessarily re-installed with it. Only its own dependencies are re-installed with it. That may have been hard to follow, but it's true, man. I observed that in my experiment with this issue. When I deleted yum, eight other things went with it. When I re-installed yum with the LiveCD's yum, only yum was re-installed. I then used that newly re-installed yum to re-install those other eight things.

PabloTwo
22nd May 2008, 06:03 PM
The most likely scenario is that some important library file needed by yum, rpm, etc. got taken out with the removal of the KDE de. In a root terminal, what is the error message you get when you try to run a yum command?

jody
22nd May 2008, 08:06 PM
@stoat: thanks for the explanation - i'll try this with the Live-CD
@pabloTwo; i am currently not at work, but as far as i rem ember the message was
"bash: yum: command not found"
or thereabouts

PabloTwo
22nd May 2008, 08:56 PM
@pabloTwo; i am currently not at work, but as far as i rem ember the message was
"bash: yum: command not found"
or thereabouts
That's a bit more serious than a missing lib file or two. Looks like Stoats remedy will be in order.

jody
22nd May 2008, 09:58 PM
I guess the LiveCD-thing will be a problem:
on the LiveCD Howto
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
the first step is to install livecd-tools
yum install livecd-tools

This means that on my machine at work i can't create a liveCD,
(having no yum)

So i tried to build a liveCD here at home - i followed the instructions,
but building the LiveCD crashed with a message:

Error creating Live CD : Failed to find package 'gnome-blog' : No package(s) available to install

So i installed gnome-blog but this did not make any difference.

However, from the output of liveCD-creator i suspect that
it was building an i386 system (same as my computer at home has)
Would it still be possible to use such a LiveCD for installing yum
on a x86_64 system?

Perhaps i will have to start all over with the installation....

stoat
22nd May 2008, 10:10 PM
Hello jody,

You can download a Fedora LiveCD ISO from the Internet and burn it to a CD. Every Fedora version since F7 has one (two actually). You can download the Fedora 8 LiveCD ISO from the download server (ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Live/).

Perhaps i will have to start all over with the installation....Well, that is always an option. And a good one, too. I have installed and re-installed Fedora so many times that I see anaconda screens in my sleep.