PDA

View Full Version : yum update and installation

bghayad
22nd May 2008, 10:24 AM
Hello;

Does yum update used for download the updates, but I have to use another command to install what was downloaded?

I used yum update, it downloaded the updates, but now I type again yum update and it scans and give me the same lists and same needed size to be downloaded.

Maybe, yum update is used for download while there is another commad to install what was downloaded? Please advise.

Regards
Bilal

Wayne
22nd May 2008, 10:26 AM
No, yum update should download, install, then clean-up afterwards. Try typing:

yum clean all

and try again

Wayne

bghayad
22nd May 2008, 10:37 AM
OK but it happened with me something else.

I ran "yum update" manually, and it downloaded a list of files, in the end after about complete day (for 1.3 GB), finished all the files and gave me a message related to signature, I select "Y" and then it gave an error message and stopped.

I did not type yum clean all and tried again as it will take complete day again :)- I am trying to understand, why now when I type yum update, it gives me again the 1.3 GB? What it was doing all the complete day, and downloading package after package and the percentages from 0 to 100% for each one?

What I am sure that it downloaded all the list. But maybe it should start the installation after the completing for the downloading list, and that what did not happen!? I am not sure.

Well, mayb the signature message that I selected after it "Y" and the erroe message that came after the "Y" made it to stop the installation (although i did the complete download), well how can I avoid this in the next attempt? I do not need to start it and ait for 1 complete day and then come back with the same Signature message and same Error and updates are not applied.

Any advise?
Regards
Bilal

Wayne
22nd May 2008, 10:54 AM
Try:

yum update --nogpgcheck

Wayne

bghayad
22nd May 2008, 12:30 PM
OK I will try it and really thanks a lot.

I have another Fedora versions (5 and 7), are they do automatic download? Or only notifications? If automatic download, how can I stop the automatic download (and the notifications) so I can do it only manual?

Regards
Bilal