PDA

View Full Version : E17/Enlightenment screen resolution and other problems

Hlingler
22nd May 2008, 10:07 AM
Hello All:

I got Prof. K's latest E17 packages, and been playing around with it. Problem: Enlightenment desktop resolution defaults to highest possible monitor setting of 1280x1024 instead of global 1024x768 in xorg.conf that all other desktops use. I don't understand how or why it does this (by-passing xorg.conf max setting), but I can't change it - when I try the settings module, it flashes to the new resolution, but all windows are greyed-out and I can neither confirm change nor revert - the desktop is locked up and only recourse is to re-start X. Looked in my home folder, but the settings files are not in text format, they're encoded, so can't fix there. Any ideas/suggestions/advice?

Thanx and Regards,
V

EDIT: Nevermind - I stumbled around in the dark until I hit the right buttons. All fixed. :D

Hlingler
22nd May 2008, 09:31 PM
OK, now that I got that fixed, there's a new problem: changing (or attempting to change) certain settings seems to bork the panel(s) - e.g., I added a second panel, and suddenly neither panel could be "grabbed" to configure, and neither the panel nor any of the gadgets accept right-clicks or give mouse-over text, so there's no way to (re)configure this stuff. It's a little frustrating having to delete ~/.e/e/config/ and re-do all the setup every time something screws this up. Any ideas?

Thanx and Regards,
V

EDIT: Fixed this temporarily once again by removing ~/.e/e/ in it's entirety and re-doing the whole desktop setup - only to find the same results recur after returning from an xscreensaver lock-out, plus the panel and some apps are entirely "shadowed", i.e., the whole panel or app space is one big shadow. !???

Hlingler
4th June 2008, 01:16 AM
OK, the above applies to F8. On F9, things actually seem much better - none of the above problems exist.

New question: does anyone know how to get a system tray going in E17? Is there any generic X-application that gives a systray? Everything is running pretty smoothly, but it would be really nice to have a system tray where all the various utilities could hide, and to be able to pop them up or down at will. The "IBar" and "IBox" are not quite the same - one's like a quick-launcher, the other's like a window/taskbar list. If I could get a sytray, I'd say: there should have been an E17-LiveCD spin released instead of (ahem) you know what....

Thanx and Regards,
V