PDA

View Full Version : KDE4 Panel in Fedora9 disappeared

arun_maurya
22nd May 2008, 05:32 AM
After fresh installation of Fedora9. I logged in in KDE4. but within 5 minuts KDE crashed and KDE4 Panel in Fedora9 disappeared. after reboot Panel was missing. How to bring it back?

xfn
22nd May 2008, 10:56 AM
remove ~/.kde

rdieter
22nd May 2008, 04:35 PM
fyi, kde-4.0.4 is available in stable updates. It is a very worthwhile upgrade, fixing many issues.

arun_maurya
23rd May 2008, 07:26 AM
I tried... i removed ~/.kde folder but still after login in kde4 the panel is still missing. even i updated the system with kde-4.0.4.

Now working without Panel :-(
I love to work in KDE than gnome...but i think now i need to switch to gnome. KDE4 first impression is not good enough. I had so many expectations of KDE4, but it lacks even KDE3 functionalities. Desktop is not so useful in KDE4, as in KDE3. The Desktop of KDE4 is missing lots of features, so i think We will have to wait till KDE4.1. till then I will have to switch to GNOME.

Anybody else having same troubles with KDE4?

bugsstring
23rd May 2008, 07:57 AM
my throubles

why kde4 duplicate icons on desktop after login ??
and K-menu in idiotic position ??
like this...

few days an i will hate F9...

arun_maurya
23rd May 2008, 08:07 AM
don't hate f9, i think its not fault of F9. F9 rocks, but not KDE4.

Ujeen
23rd May 2008, 05:26 PM
It's KDE4 issues, F9 is still good.
I have some bad feelings about KDE. It's possible that it may leave "the desktop stage" after this collapsed release. Hope I'm wrong but many people I know have started moving to GNOME and XFCE because of poor KDE4 functionallity. And me as well ... after almost 8 years of using KDE :(

trode
24th May 2008, 02:31 AM
I agree Ujeen. As a dedicated KDE user, I too am ready to hang it up. I see a purpose for each model, KDE and Gnome, but I prefer KDE. But now, all of the reasons I chose KDE over Gnome are gone. At this point, I will abandon ship and only hope a new ship comes to shore with better arsenal.

KDE...Maybe its on hold for now but please bring back the tools that made it worth the while.
i.e.:
- Right click on desktop to create folders, links, extract files, etc...
- Better panel controls and configuration. Bring back the extended panel!
- I can go on but what's the point.

This is in no way to offend any Gnome die-hards out there. I am not saying KDE is better than Gnome. I am just saying that my preferences to KDE are now gone and Gnome is looking good at the moment.

...No, I will not go back to F8. ;-)

arun_maurya
26th May 2008, 07:45 AM
I was also using KDE since last 8 years, and prefer to GNOME, but now am shifted to GNOME. I hope KDE4.1 will solve these major small issues...and we will get all old functionalities of KDE with improved look & performance.

xfn
26th May 2008, 10:31 AM
my throubles

why kde4 duplicate icons on desktop after login ??
and K-menu in idiotic position ??
like this...

few days an i will hate F9...

You can move k-menu to any position of screen, because k-menu is a plasmoid like everything on the desktop. For moving click on right button of mouse and Start Move of Application Launcher. The same way you can add Panel, System tray, Task management & etc.

7bits
13th July 2008, 09:05 AM
Hi!

I just installed and updated Fedora 9 and experienced the same problem - after adding some widgets plasma crashed and the panel at the bottom disappeared and wouldn´t appear upon restart.

Deleting the whole ~/.kde seems a little drastic to me.
Googling for a solution I found this blog entry and it worked for me.
http://anojrs.blogspot.com/2008/01/disappearing-panel-in-kde-4.htmlhttp://anojrs.blogspot.com/2008/01/disappearing-panel-in-kde-4.html

In short, the steps are:
- kill the plasma process
- rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*
- start plasma again

Cheers!