PDA

View Full Version : Please Help this Newbie

RichardGrant
22nd May 2008, 04:53 AM
Hi,

I have a spare PC, which has XP now, and I want to wipe out Win, and install Fedora9.
This is going to be a practice machine for LAMP software/db development, not a mission-critical machine.

I got my 6 Fedora9 CDs downloaded and burned, but I started having the following probs:

1) When Fedora boots, the options are all about an "existing installation" but there's no Fedora installation on the PC. Which option wipes out the HDD and installs Fedora from scratch?

2) The media check keeps telling me 3 or 4 of the 6 CDs have errors. I re-downloaded the files again, and all file sizes match the previous download. I don't need perfect media, as far as it installs. When the media check says the disk is bad, what exactly can go wrong? Can I still install with this?

I appreciate all the help I can get, b/c I'm a newbie at Linux.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

OralDeckard
22nd May 2008, 05:28 AM
If your media failed the test that would explain your other problem.
"I don't need perfect media" is incorrect. It is not a matter of being a picky perfectionist. If you have bad CDs you cannot expect a good installation.

When you burn your CDs your CD burner should run a check against the md5 checksum, and proceed to burning only if they pass. A pass here means you got a good download. What program did you burn them with? Did it do such a test? For instance, if you burned them with k3b, it tested the downloads, and burned the CD only after the downloads were verified good.

So then if you have bad media, it may be bad physical CDs. Some are better than others. And its not the most expensive that work the best every time. Sometimes Maxell or TDK beat out everything else.

When you have good media, you will reach a point in the installation where it tells you what drives you have attached, and will offer to remove all partitios, remove all Linux partitions or use free space, and create a default install.

This is the point where you say no thanks, and select Custom install.

The next screen will present you with all your current partitions, probably one monolithic NTFS C: drive.
This is where you can select it and then select DELETE, then create a new set of partitions.

The scheme I use is:
/boot 100 MB ext3
/ 20 GB ext3
swap (2x your memory)
/home (the rest) ext3

You don't actually need the /boot. Without it, your boot loader can go either into your MBR or into yoru first bootable partition (/ (root))