PDA

View Full Version : Problems dual-booting Fedora & Vista!? Help!

mr.s4ndm4n
22nd May 2008, 01:03 AM
Okay guys, I have a RAID 0 of 4 HDDs and after installind vista, creating a new partition, and trying to install Fedora on it, i am not prompted to choose whether to load vista or fedora after post.

you can read a thread from another forum here where i tried to get help:

http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/333860-fedora-9-how-boot.html

Please help!?

zagloba
22nd May 2008, 02:24 AM
Did u fresh instal vista and F9?
if so try this way install F9 first make partition for vista and instal vista on that partition.

stoat
22nd May 2008, 02:39 AM
Hello mr.s4ndm4n,

Wow.

Here are some general thoughts that I had while reading that mess...

Vista is well-known to be bootable by GRUB. It's done by choosing the boot loader option to install GRUB in the master boot record. You did that. How all that RAID and mapper business affects that, I can't say. But you had a guy over there who was seemingly experienced with your RAID setup.

The EasyBCD thing was a good idea. Many people here have used it. But you tried that, too. However, for that to work GRUB must be installed in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition. I never got the sense that you did that. I think it is why this happened...

Okay, after doing what BiG O listed in his last post, i got to choose the fedora option, but then it posted this:

Loading new partition
Bootsector from C.H. Hochstatter
Cannot load from harddisk.
Insert System disk and press any key.
I am truly reluctant to give any advice after what you have been through already. I calculated the odds that writing here any further here will be incredibly unwise of me... and I did it anyway...

I believe the safest thing to do and the thing most likely to work is EasyBCD. EasyBCD is not a boot loader itself. It is just software that simplifies with a nice GUI the configuring of the Vista boot loader to boot other operating systems (such as Fedora). That's right. You can even do its work manually (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=154879) if you want to (but don't). But to use EasyBCD, you must take a few moments to install GRUB in the first sector of the Fedora boot partiton. If you want to try here is how...
Boot with the Fedora installation disk or the Rescue CD.
Select Rescue installed system.
Follow directions & respond to prompts.
At the sh prompt enter: chroot /mnt/sysimage
At the sh prompt enter: fdisk -l

Note: It's a lower-case letter L, not a number one.

Study the fdisk result to confirm the partition in which to install GRUB. If it is not completely clear to you which partition should be the target of this command, then stop. Return here and post your fdisk result and grub.conf (take a photo of them if you have to). Don't guess at this step.
If, for example, it is clear that /dev/sdb1 is the Fedora boot partition then at the sh prompt enter:

grub-install /dev/sdb1

If you get a "No corresponding drive in BIOS" error, then do it again like this:

grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb1

At the sh prompt enter exit.
Enter exit again to reboot.
Remove the CD or DVD.

After that is done correctly, then do the EasyBCD setup again pointing it at the Fedora boot partition where you just re-installed GRUB. As usual, no promises. As always, you have my sincere best wishes for good luck.

P.S.: I mean no disrespect to zagloba (really), but I would rather gouge out my eyes with a sharp stick than install a Windows system "behind" Fedora. It is virtually universally agreed to never to install in that order.

mr.s4ndm4n
22nd May 2008, 03:58 AM
Okay, i had no idea what to do after you said to stop if i didnt what to do.....here is a pic i took. i hope u can read it okay.

stoat
22nd May 2008, 04:32 AM
Hello again mr.s4ndm4n,

If information scrolled off the top of the screen, do the fdisk command again like this and upload the screen photo(s) showing the entire result...
/sbin/fdisk -l | lessNext, you need someone that uses RAID to help install GRUB in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition. There are plenty of them around here. I don't and did not see anything in the photo that gave me the confidence to write the grub-install command. I don't want to guess either.

Anyone with expertise with RAID and device mapper partitions please help now. The ultimate goal is to boot Fedora with the Vista boot loader using EasyBCD to configure it. Tell now how to type the grub-install command to install GRUB in the first sector of the Fedora boot partition.