PDA

View Full Version : Update System downloading 468MB of file lists

Felix_the_Mac
21st May 2008, 09:59 PM
I have booted in to FC9 for the first time in a few days.

I expected there to be some updates available but the notification did not appear, so I ran System >> Administration >> Update System.

The "Update System" window said that my system is up to date, but I didn't believe it! :-)

So I clicked Refresh and the program then spent an hour or so downloading >470MB of file lists!!!!

Is that correct?

----
Whilst I was writing this the "Update System" window disappeared - I'm not sure if I accidentally closed it :-(

So I ran System >> Administration >> Update System again and it still said "Last Refresh - Over a week ago"

So I have clicked Refresh again - I hope it doesnt try to download 470 MB again.

ovadyah
21st May 2008, 10:09 PM
I had not gotten any updates the last few days and today I did a full update and got 305MB or so.
Might just be right. :rolleyes:

Felix_the_Mac
21st May 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi ovadyah, thank for your response.

I think what you are saying is a bit different - that there were updates available (say 50 packages) and that the total download size was 305MB.

Whereas I am just refreshing the file lists (package lists?) and my system is downloading almost 500MB of LISTS!!

SlowJet
21st May 2008, 10:28 PM
I have booted in to FC9 for the first time in a few days.

I expected there to be some updates available but the notification did not appear, so I ran System >> Administration >> Update System.

The "Update System" window said that my system is up to date, but I didn't believe it! :-)

So I clicked Refresh and the program then spent an hour or so downloading >470MB of file lists!!!!

Is that correct?

----
Whilst I was writing this the "Update System" window disappeared - I'm not sure if I accidentally closed it :-(

So I ran System >> Administration >> Update System again and it still said "Last Refresh - Over a week ago"

So I have clicked Refresh again - I hope it doesnt try to download 470 MB again.

Use yum in a root terminal
setenforce 0
yum clean all # **
yum check-update #**

Then you can see where the 3 or 4 huge packages are and use --exclude=packname

So you could get most and exclude OOo-*, gimp-help evolution-help
May cut it down to 200 MB
The others you can do later.

yum update --exclude=pack1 --exclude=pack2 ...
** = do thse together quickly or yum-updates.d will run again and lock you out.

SJ

Felix_the_Mac
21st May 2008, 10:39 PM
SlowJet,

thanks I will try that if necessary.

But if am I just refreshing package lists surely I shouldn't need to download 500MB of data?

SlowJet
21st May 2008, 10:50 PM
Oh, you may be in the unsync'd mirror loop.?
The gui will not stop until it runs of of mirrors to try, and since its packagelist is wrong, most of the mirrors (if not all) will be wrong.

That is why you should use yum and let Fedora and Redhat worry about their broken bling. :)
It is just another layer on top of yum, anyway.

SJ

Felix_the_Mac
21st May 2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks SlowJet.

I did yum clean all;yum check-update; yum install

and it seems to be working now.

ovadyah
22nd May 2008, 02:56 AM
thanks for the correction !