PDA

View Full Version : FEDORA 9 Live CD Problems

adrian007
21st May 2008, 04:14 PM
I have downloaded fedora 9 i686 live CD via bit torrent. I verified it via SHA1SUM In Ubuntu and it was fine. i then burn it at 10x wit write simulation. So far everything was fine. i put it into my computer which at the moment is running Ubuntu 8.04.

I booted from the CD and it kept giving errors. After 2min it dropped me to a shell and said good luck.

The error is: Buffer I/O Error Dev sr0. logical block 353709

(the number at the end is random and keeps changing

it spits out about 20 or more errors

I would relay like help as i would like to have fedora on my system.

wxmanunr
21st May 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm having the exact same problem and error on three computers in my house. One is a Via based MB with a Sempron 2800+. Another is a nForce4 based MB with an Athlon64 X2 4800+. Another is a P35 based MB with an Intel E7200.

The ISO was verified using the SHASUM1 twice and burned twice.

FC9 has been nothing but trouble for me. I can't even get the install DVD to get based the keyboard selection screen. Again, SHASUM1 and verify disc option said everything was "ok".

wxmanunr

dirk_diggler
13th June 2008, 12:32 AM
Funny... I am having the same issues as well. Downloaded the F9 LiveCD through fedoraproject.org with two different computers (home and work), verified correct SHASUM1, burned several CDs from iso images using different burning software, and no luck. Lots of error messages. I am debating whether to just jump right into the full install, but I would really like to see the LiveCD in action before installing (kind of defeats the purpose of the LiveCD if I can't get to test-drive it beforehand).

I included the specs of each box are below, in case anyone knows of potential incompatibilities with F9 (my coworker had issues with F7 install due to graphics card):

Box1 - Dell Precision 670 Dual Intel Xeon HT (2.8GHz), 4GB RAM, 150GB WD SATA 10K rpm, NVIDIA Quadra FX 540 (dual monitor setup)

Box2 - Dell Precision 490 Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, 750GB WD SATA, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 (single monitor setup)

devonharlan
20th June 2008, 06:59 AM
I Have the same problem. I read quite a few other threads with people having the same problem. Looks like the only solution (not actually a solution) is to just run fedora 8. Bummer. I really wanna se KDE 4.

devonharlan
20th June 2008, 07:01 AM
Is everyone else having this issue on 64-bit? That might be the problem. My system is.

Seve
20th June 2008, 07:08 AM
Hello:
Thousands of folks have been successful installing F9, so can you be more specific with the issue that you are having ?
Have you read through the documents here ?
Making Fedora Discs (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/)

Seve

dirk_diggler
20th June 2008, 06:32 PM
Hello:
Thousands of folks have been successful installing F9, so can you be more specific with the issue that you are having ?
Have you read through the documents here ?
Making Fedora Discs (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-burning-isos/)

Seve

Hi Seve.

Unfortunately, I did not record the error messages, and I now have a working version of F9 LiveCD. I used the same method of burning isos that has previously worked for me for many LiveCDs and Install CDs and DVDs, and is essentially the same as those described in fedoraproject.org site.

Here's a brief description of what has worked and not worked for me. I downloaded the ISO images of F9, Ubuntu 8, and OpenSuse 11. The ISO was verified for each using the SHASUM1 twice and burned onto CDs. When I downloaded and burned CDs with XP, I was able to boot up with the LiveCD of both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE, but I could not boot up with the F9 LiveCD. A temporary resolve for me was when I burned the Fedora 9 LiveCD using OpenSUSE 10.3 (instead of WinXP Pro, which is a dual-boot box I use at work). With this, I am able to boot up with F9 LiveCD. Strange?! I'm not even going to bother trying to figure it out.

So, brief summary of the results:

LiveCDs downloaded and burned with XP:
F9 - Unsuccessful
Ubuntu 8 - Successful
OpenSUSE 11 - Successful

... downloaded and burned with suse:
F9, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE - Successful

... downloaded with XP, burned with suse:
F9, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE - Successful

I didn't try the download with suse/ubuntu and XP burn for F9, because I do not want to waste any more CDs (since I now have a working version of F9 LiveCD).

Hope this helps with trying to resolve some of the issues that others are encountering.

- :)