PDA

View Full Version : New Member Here!

Indy
10th July 2004, 02:31 AM
Hey guys whats up?
I found this website about a week ago and just scoured around it a bit. I decided to register and become apart of the Fedora community!
In any case, about myself, I wouldn't say I was a "noob" as I have used redhat for quite some time now (all command line). But I'm not a developer either. So I think I`m somewhere in the middle. I usually don't use the RPM files as I like to have complete control when I configure and make files.
Enough with the boring stuff.

I have 2 questiosn for you guys.

1) What do you think the future of Fedora is? IMO, I think it was messed up that Redhat let the community spend so much time helping build its product and then dropping the free version like a bad habit. So why would anyone bother developing and enhancing Fedora?

2) Not to sound like a hypocrite, but I got so used to Redhat that I can't see myself using other OS's like Gentoo, Slackware although I heard they were pretty good.
I insalled Fedora Core 2 early this week and I am having trouble getting my Intel Pro 2011 wireless PCMCIA card to work with it. It's built on a Compaq 1800T laptop.
Because I am writing this on my WINDOWS box, I can only generally tell you how its setup. Fedora picked up the card as a coronico_cs card.
When I type: cardctl ident.
It displays the correct information about the card. So it's definitley reading it.
Because I setup the IP address statically. When I type: iwconfig
I get the appropriate information regarding the setup of the card: (ie: ip addr, gateway..)
I can also ping itself. The IP is set to 192.168.10.6. So pinging that IP returns the correct results. I disabled WEP on my Linksys just to narrow do the troubleshooting.
The light on the card blinks because its looking for an AP and makes a little sound. That sound(when I had WindowsXP on it) is the same sound when its looking for an AP. So I know its trying to do its job.
But upon further diagnosis, the MAC address of the AP shows up as 0's. So its definitley not even able to contact it...

I know you guys like to get full description of the actual config so I will setup my Fedora box with its other built in ethernet card that WORKS. So I can come back here and paste any configs you may ask about.

Sorry for the long introduction and question. I just hope someone can help me out because I dont feel like blowing this out as I would like to stick with one "linux" and learn it well.

Thanks all!!!

Indy

Jman
10th July 2004, 03:22 PM
Welcome.

You really have two things that go in seperate forums: Networking and Fedora Focus. I like your enthusiasm though.

Please post the network question in Networking.

crackers
10th July 2004, 04:38 PM
In answer to question 1, you are using "RedHat free version." There really is no difference between using Fedora and the old RH downloads - there's no support either way. The advantage is that Fedora is not in a closed development cycle and non-RedHat employees may participate in shaping the future RH paid versions - that's some pretty hefty mojo.

Indy
10th July 2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks, I reposted in Networking section.

foolish
12th July 2004, 10:27 AM
Here's how I see it.

Fedora is this bright kid in blue trousers and braces that has just been left the safety of home and his mothers cooking. After some tripping, falling and a eating of wild berries he's standing at a crossroad. There's two paths from here. And the he's been stalling at the crossroad twinning our thumbs long enough. Down one path he'll find programmers, artists, bug trackers, testers, men of vision, women of vision, men of great knowledge and screaming teenage girls with almost no clothing on. In short, everything he'll ever need.

Down the other part is some greyish thing that he can't make out properly, looks like somewhere you go to lay down and die.

For some reason the bright boy in the blue trousers can't make up his mind.

Ug
12th July 2004, 12:39 PM
I worry about you sometimes, I really do.

crackers
12th July 2004, 12:50 PM
You and me both... Must be something Nordic. :)