PDA

View Full Version : Where is checkinstall in Fedora 9

jithin1987
20th May 2008, 11:29 AM
i am a new Fedora user and I installed Fedora 9 . I cannot find checkinstall. can any one help?

Dangermouse
20th May 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi, welcome to fedora
as far as i know checkinstall is not in any of the main repos, but you can get the rpm temporary from here
http://dnmouse.dyndns.org/

jithin1987
20th May 2008, 12:30 PM
thanks man i have been looking for this. Is there any specific reason why fedora has left out checkinstall

Dangermouse
20th May 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi
i dont know, but at a guess it looks like it not maintained any more, going by their homepage.
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

jithin1987
21st May 2008, 05:05 AM
I am getting an error. I can build rpm packages. But it says failed md5 checksum and wo'nt install

linux_paul
21st May 2008, 05:22 AM
Are you trying to install with yum or red-hat package manager (rpm)?

Hlingler
21st May 2008, 06:11 AM
I am getting an error. I can build rpm packages. But it says failed md5 checksum and wo'nt installIf you successfully built an RPM package with checkinstall, it won't be gpg-key signed, so you have to install it manually from command line with rpm. yum/Package Manager et. al. will spit it back at you with the gpg-check error.

Also, checkinstall has a nasty little bug that adds some core executables (like sed, make, grep, etc.) to the RPM packages it makes, so you usually have to edit the specfile manually to remove them by starting it with (as root user):
checkinstall --inspect
Then edit out the extraneous files (with the in-line VIM text editor that checkinstall presents).

V

jithin1987
21st May 2008, 08:15 AM
i tried with rpm

jason_f
30th May 2008, 05:02 AM
Also, checkinstall has a nasty little bug that adds some core executables (like sed, make, grep, etc.) to the RPM packages it makes, so you usually have to edit the specfile manually to remove them by starting it with (as root user):
checkinstall --inspect
Then edit out the extraneous files (with the in-line VIM text editor that checkinstall presents).

V

I'm new to fedora..from arch..
With this bug plus the fact that checkinstall isn't officially supported by fedora, what is the preferred way to install out-of-repo software in fedora? Building rpms or spec files manually seems overkill when you just want to install a package. I know I can just 'make install' but it would be nice to have everything catalogued by the package manager..

Hlingler
30th May 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm new to fedora..from arch..
With this bug plus the fact that checkinstall isn't officially supported by fedora, what is the preferred way to install out-of-repo software in fedora? Building rpms or spec files manually seems overkill when you just want to install a package. I know I can just 'make install' but it would be nice to have everything catalogued by the package manager..???

I use checkinstall!

If you can find an RPM somewhere (and many times you can), then use it if at all possible. First, check: rpm.pbone.net, rpmfind.net, and/or rpmseek.com to see if there's an RPM laying around somewhere. And search Google - I've found some pretty obscure stuff in some dark corners of the internet. Next best option is to get SRPMs and rebuild - minimal goofing around since specfiles and all are included, just type "GO". If not - if you must build - your choices are: checkinstall, rpmbuild, or 'make install'. And I absolutely hate 'make install' for exactly the reason you stated: once it starts spraying files all over your OS, there's no way to keep track of them and no guarantee that you can un-do it. I suppose learning the right way to build an RPM would be better, but I never needed to - checkinstall has worked well enough so far.

V

jason_f
30th May 2008, 05:58 AM
Thank you..

Is any rpm for fedora normally OK to install or should it be specific to f9? Lots of the rpms i come across are for older versions of fedora..

Hlingler
30th May 2008, 03:59 PM
Is any rpm for fedora normally OK to install or should it be specific to f9? Lots of the rpms i come across are for older versions of fedora..Yes and no: it depends on the individual package.

In general: No, old RPMs are not compatible and should not be installed. This is always true for kernel*, kmod*/kmdl* (kernel driver modules), and other such higher-level packages that contain apps/libraries/files that are sensitive to changes in other packages. But, a number of older packages still bear tags "fc8/7" because there have been no changes, either in the package itself or it's dependencies, to merit rebuilding. OTOH, there are a very few that still have even older tags, even ".fc6", such as: font packages, and others containing relatively static files:
[vince@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686
[vince@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep fc6
pdfjam-1.20-5.fc6.noarch
sysconftool-0.15-3.fc6.noarch
cvsweb-3.0.6-3.fc6.noarch
[vince@localhost ~]$Also, some special 3rd-party RPMs are compiled with all dependencies included, to make them more portable, and so they are generic in nature, even across distros. Examples: Opera, RealPlayer, Limewire, etc. These are compiled "with statically-linked executables". They tend to be larger than normal, due to the extra baggage.

As a side note, one of the limitations of checkinstall is that it cannot handle the compiling of packages containing statically-linked libraries - you have to use rpmbuild.

Hope this answers your questions and clarifies things.

V

jason_f
30th May 2008, 06:37 PM
Very much so, thanks again!!