PDA

View Full Version : Best way to go about in formatting 2nd drive and installing new copy of fd9

reddem0n
20th May 2008, 02:06 AM
Hello,

I've had fedora 8 and am ready for my update. As a beginner in this, I just want to get people's opinion on what would be the best way to go about in this.

My plan right now is to completely get rid of fedora 8 from my 2nd harddrive and do a new install with fedora 9 x64 bit version. Should I just do a normal format on my 2nd harddrive and then boot using the fed 9 dvd? If I do format my 2nd harddrive, what format should I do it in ...fat32?

Thanks in advance,
Zad.

ovadyah
20th May 2008, 02:24 AM
I do not know enough to say anything about the 2nd HD aspect of your question, however the F9 dvd will do all one needs to do as far as partitioning and formating, it will ask about that in the beginning and you can set that up as a part of the install.

stoat
20th May 2008, 02:53 AM
Hello everybody,

Yeah, that you can do all of that partition work in anaconda. Either automatically with one of the default layout options, or manually with the custom layout option. There is even a brand new feature to resize existing partitions. It's one of the partitioning options in the drop down menu. However, it's very commonly advised to have free unpartitioned space ready and waiting before even starting ananconda.

But here is the reason I am writing here: Maybe you should think twice about getting rid of F8 until you are sure F9 is going to install and work nicely for you. Is there a way that you can create space for F9 on your drives without removing F8 yet? You could dual boot for a while (or multi-boot depending on what else you have there). When everything is good, then delete F8. Or even better, leave it there until Fedora 10 comes out and put it in F8's partitions. You, of course, should do what you want to do.

reddem0n
20th May 2008, 03:52 AM
May I ask why? Lots of bugs with fedora 9?

JohnVV
20th May 2008, 04:03 AM
i like stoat advice but to add . under no circumstance should put linux on a fat32
all files will have the equivalent of 777 . There are no [ i repeat NO ] file permissions
in fat32

reddem0n
20th May 2008, 04:52 AM
thanks for the tip johnv, so what format should i do instead then? ntfs?

JohnVV
20th May 2008, 06:32 AM
use the Linux / Fedora default ext3
the fedora 9 install dvd will do it for you if you select to remove and install over existing linux install . there is a check box to this effect .
or do a custom partition layout ( search the forum for this)