PDA

View Full Version : XFCE4 Desktop Problem on fc9 fresh install

rclinux
19th May 2008, 11:49 PM
I have just installed fc9 on VMWare and in install I only selected XFCE for desktop. After rebooting I couldn't login, it keep reseting the gdm.
Then I installed with yum the fluxbox and it log's in with fuxbox. After I did the same thing with XFCE4 and yum installed XFCE4 ( :confused: ) but gdm doesn't let me choose the Desktop I want (XFCE4).

Can anyone help here? :confused:

jagot
20th May 2008, 10:39 AM
Afraid I can't help, but the same thing is happening with me, so it would be nice to know if anyone knows what the problem is. I was doing a normal install from CD's (my laptop unfortunately doesn't boot from the DVD).

Seve
20th May 2008, 11:08 AM
I have just installed fc9 on VMWare and in install I only selected XFCE for desktop. After rebooting I couldn't login, it keep reseting the gdm.
Then I installed with yum the fluxbox and it log's in with fuxbox. After I did the same thing with XFCE4 and yum installed XFCE4 ( :confused: ) but gdm doesn't let me choose the Desktop I want (XFCE4).

Can anyone help here? :confused:
Hello:
Are you sure ?

With F9, unlike previous versions you have to first click on the User that you want to login with, then the Sessions Options etc. will appear in the Upper/Lower Panel. (based on your Panel Preferences)

Seve

jagot
21st May 2008, 11:29 AM
I've just found this, which seems to answer the question:

http://www.tummy.com/journals/entries/kevin_20080519_142532

Now on to the bad side of the coin: The media (cd, dvds) installer thinks that Xfce is available to install, even though it's not available on the media. On the one hand, this leads to more people seeing that Xfce is available for Fedora and trying to get it installed and running. On the other hand, they select it in the installer and the resulting system has no Xfce on it. Happy that's solved by either selecting the additional repos from the media install (if you have network) or just simply doing a 'yum groupinstall XFCE' after the install completes and you have network.

bbfuller
22nd May 2008, 12:20 AM
Hello jagot

Thanks for confirming that.

On my first DVD install of F9 I was certain that I selected XFCE along with the other two desktops. When it didn't appear on the login screen alongside Gnome and KDE I just thought I'd made an error.

However, your post and a second install from the DVD appears to confirm that whatever you select in the installer XFCE doesn't get installed.

It certainly appears as a login option after installing it over the internet though.

rclinux
22nd May 2008, 10:41 PM
First after I click the user I coudn't see SESSION OPTIONS (See here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16140&stc=1) ). But after the 'yum groupinstall XFCE' I got it (See here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16141&stc=1) ).

The problem was that only today could install with yum. I tried in the past but I only got "nothing to do."

Anyway, thanks!

bbfuller
22nd May 2008, 11:03 PM
Hello rclinux

I've only been involved with three fedora installations so far and in all of those the login screen performed exactly as it was supposed to.

There have been a few isolated instances though of people reporting what your screenshots confirm.

It might be a good idea to post a proper bug report - or see if anyone else has - over at:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

The developers who would provide a fix don't monitor these forums.

rclinux
25th May 2008, 03:13 AM
Yes, it was reported in Fedora9 Beta:

Bugzilla Bug 440217 (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=440217)

But, we know that is not fixed yet. :rolleyes:

mathan
31st May 2008, 10:37 PM
thanks rclinux

msrinath80
1st June 2008, 12:55 AM
Just an FYI: I performed the Fedora 9 install from CDs (9 times). Yes, you heard that right. I tried every kind of installation method: Text, graphical etc. Only to realize that XFCE isn't the only package that is missing in the media but present on the installer screen for selection. There are a bunch of others that never got installed from the CDs simply because they were not there!

The installer maintainers need to clean this up before F10 comes out. Also WindowMaker in the default F9 install is broken. I had to rebuild it from source. Most of the tracks and cars from the torcs package are missing. I had to build torcs from source too. I successfully installed a minimal system without any traces of GNOME/KDE. However when I tried to retrieve firefox from yum, it started bringing in GNOME dependencies. Same with gnumeric. I grabbed the firefox binary from mozilla's webpage and rebuilt gnumeric using just gtk. Same case with GNU Octave. Again built it from source. The last time I remember having a simple minimal system was back in 1998 when I ran RedHat 6.0. Now every distribution has become GNOME or KDE centric making it harder for old-school folks like myself to run what we prefer. Not complaining. Just an observation.

For the record I run plain WindowMaker and mount devices manually. Wireless is configured manually as well, as is bluetooth. I prefer this to any graphical configuration utility bloat :-)

JN4OldSchool
1st June 2008, 01:01 AM
Just an FYI: I performed the Fedora 9 install from CDs (9 times). Yes, you heard that right. I tried every kind of installation method: Text, graphical etc. Only to realize that XFCE isn't the only package that is missing in the media but present on the installer screen for selection. There are a bunch of others that never got installed from the CDs simply because they were not there!

The installer maintainers need to clean this up before F10 comes out. Also WindowMaker in the default F9 install is broken. I had to rebuild it from source. Most of the tracks and cars from the torcs package are missing. I had to build torcs from source too. I successfully installed a minimal system without any traces of GNOME/KDE. However when I tried to retrieve firefox from yum, it started bringing in GNOME dependencies. Same with gnumeric. I grabbed the firefox binary from mozilla's webpage and rebuilt gnumeric using just gtk. Same case with GNU Octave. Again built it from source. The last time I remember having a simple minimal system was back in 1998 when I ran RedHat 6.0. Now every distribution has become GNOME or KDE centric making it harder for old-school folks like myself to run what we prefer. Not complaining. Just an observation.

For the record I run plain WindowMaker and mount devices manually. Wireless is configured manually as well, as is bluetooth. I prefer this to any graphical configuration utility bloat :-)

Fedora is very much Gnome-centric and is a very bloated distro. It is a kitchen-sink distro and even trying to do a minimal install is more trouble than it is worth. You sound like you have been around the Linux block many times, why even mess with Fedora? It is so anti everything you are trying to do.

msrinath80
1st June 2008, 02:37 AM
Well, I support Fedora for two reasons. One, it is the only distribution out there (today) that supports all my laptop hardware (including my USB TV Tuner) properly. Even Ubuntu's hardy Heron does not cut it. Two, I have always had a soft spot for RedHat. I began my GNU/Linux journey with RedHat and it has never disappointed me so far.

The only point I'm trying to understand is whether all this *simplification* (as GNOME puts it) is necessary. For those of us who are settled in our ways, just how much more simpler can it get? You have to draw the line somewhere isn't it? It's just that these days I get the feeling that GNOME is trying very hard to be very user friendly to a two-year old. Basically again boiling down to what Linus said earlier, the "Users are idiots" approach.

JN4OldSchool
1st June 2008, 02:45 AM
You are far more advanced than I am, but I understand exactly what you are saying, I have said the same myself a few times lately. Linux has reached a pinnacle but it seems lately it is becoming dumbed down. I like GUI and Compiz Fusion and automount, but I dont feel we should have to give up the control of being able to also do these things manually. Next they will want to take away the command line...

msrinath80
1st June 2008, 02:59 AM
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

RonPolley
13th July 2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks Everyone,
I was having this same problem with XFCE, did a yum groupinstall XFCE and it installed XFCE properly and put the option in the selector at the bottom of the page in login (after I enter a user and before you password) Boy is this DM fast.