PDA

View Full Version : FC9 Problem Installation

cavin1
19th May 2008, 10:31 PM
I started the process again by by deleting FC8 and abortive FC9 from HDD. I have just reinstalled a fresh cc of FC9 and it qill not boo to a KDE nor Gnome screen.I have tried 'init 5' followed by 'startx'. Response is a 'fluttering' text login screen. In fact when the system boot I get this 'fluttering' text login screen. This is my guess, but it seems like ths system is trying to get the graphical GUI working and can't, eventually gives up. BTW this is a minimal install. I had previously tried an upgrade from 8 to 9 - failed. I then tried a fresh cc of 9 while leaving 8 inplace - failed, but also rendered the 8 non bootable, eh !!

Please someone help me, it does seem from the number of FC9 install issues herin that there may be a universal but in FC9. hey if windose :eek: does it all the time, ain't linux entitled to a very rare one !!! :)

thanks in advance Des Cavin (Ontario Canada)

sideways
19th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Boot into text mode by appending '3' to the kernel line at the grub boot screen (hit 'a' or 'e' to edit), then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the video driver to "vesa" (It's in Section "Device")

cavin1
20th May 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks - sideways, but that's the issue, system boots into text mode at start up and I can't get it into graphical mode. This 'trembling' when it starts has got me puzzled, never seen that before.

sideways
20th May 2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe I misunderstood - does the graphical screen still "tremble" after you change to the vesa driver (Which you can change in text mode by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and then run startx?

cavin1
20th May 2008, 02:39 PM
Maybe I misunderstood - does the graphical screen still "tremble" after you change to the vesa driver (Which you can change in text mode by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and then run startx?

It starts in text mode and I cannot get from there to graphical mode. Thus the tremble is in text mode., thanks,

sideways
20th May 2008, 09:20 PM
that is weird, like a monitor sync problem. Maybe try appending a vga console mode to the kernel line in grub eg add vga=0x318 for 1024x768 mode. To get a list of all supported modes try 'yum install vbetest', and see if you can run vbetest and get a stable mode, then you add 512 to the mode number and use vga=xxx (eg if the mode no is 360, use vga=872)

Have you tried single user mode? (append 1 to kernel line at grub boot)

cavin1
22nd May 2008, 09:12 PM
Getting so weird I have just checked 'Open Suse' and they release their next one in about a month, maybe I'll wait, hmmmm, nah I came from there, and I've got to like Fedora.

Your last suggestion failed on my machine and I, vbtest installed OK, and ran OK, but I could not find a stable mode. Of course I have not taken the time to go through all 30 or so modes it lists, the reboots between attempts were getting to me. I did try to 'vga +' check on a couple of modes, all it does is change the size of the font onscreen.But no graphic video.I think I'll go for another read at hte Xwindows site again.

cavin1
25th May 2008, 09:50 PM
When I peruse the Xorg site it seems to say that my vids card (ATI Radeon 7000) is no longer supported, but all was fine in FC8,7,6,5. Has anyone got any issues with XFree86 Ver 4.7.0 ??? Since my troubles are with the video and the XFree site implies my chip not supported then this may be my problem.....

cavin1
26th May 2008, 02:26 AM
SEE 9 Poats back, thanks to Alake I have solved my problem, his methodology worked excellently. Thanks again for all those who helped me.

cavin1
28th May 2008, 11:51 PM
Back agaain, when I tried Alake's method and wrote this closure, I had he last step to do, in my excitement at this method apparently working I wrote this closure. When I performed the last step it wen to hell in a hand cart and I'm back where I started. So in the interest of clarity I'll start a new post, thanks all for your help.