PDA

View Full Version : "Incorrect login"?????

BStarbuck
19th May 2008, 06:12 AM
Last night, I installed f9 on a desktop, got sidetracked, etc etc, went to login in and couldn't due to incorrect login. So I figured I somehow mistyped the wrong password twice or something and reinstalled f9......and its doing it again. I know for a fact I am typing in the exact user/password i set up during the initial install.
So my question is what could cause this issue? Any solutions aside from re-reinstall and hope for the best?

**edit**
This machine is a Gateway G6-333c (old school)
Celeron 333
128mb

Both attempts are on different drives. The first was some 6gig that came in the machine and the second is a 40gig I had around.

Seve
19th May 2008, 06:15 AM
Hello:
Are you sure that you are paying strict attention to CaSe.

Unlike Windows. Linux is case sensitive.

Seve

BStarbuck
19th May 2008, 06:20 AM
Yea I got that. Its all lower and I know I didn't hit the Caps. It's odd. I just don't wanna go for 0-3

Seve
19th May 2008, 06:34 AM
Hello:
Off hand, no idea .... ?

The only other thing that springs to mind, is that you do not have enough physical resources for Fedora ?
Min - On-board Graphics
(128mb - On-board Graphics Memory)

Which is below the minimum required ?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-ArchSpecific.html#sn-ArchSpecific-x86

Not to discourage you, but frankly, there are much better Distro's out there for the hardware you are using.

Seve

BStarbuck
19th May 2008, 06:37 AM
I'm just running it in text mode. I found out how to change the password so maybe that'll solve my problems. If not then.......iuno. I'll just use a machine that wasn't built in the late 60's

Brain1127
19th May 2008, 01:09 PM
OMG..We often use that kind of machine as simple router or gateway.
Try use init level1 and renew your root password.

BStarbuck
19th May 2008, 08:25 PM
OMG..We often use that kind of machine as simple router or gateway.
Try use init level1 and renew your root password.

Yea all I wanted to do really was plug in a printer, set it in some central location of the house, and have a printer for everyone to use. While at the same time, learning how to do all of that.

So I tried changing the password by entering "single-user" mode when you edit the kernel line and boot from there. Nothing changed.
So then, (and this is where I need help with knowing if i did this right), while in [root@local....#], I tried;

useradd Brian

Nothing happened so I tried it again to be sure and

username Brian already exist

So I said sweet and tried to modify the password.

usermod --passwd "new password" (I can't remember if it was "--passwd" or "--password", but I typed it directly how
usermod -help displayed.

Long story short, it still failed. I know this is probably annoying and it would be easier to find a new machine and reinstall, but I hate it when i can't figure something out.

Brain1127
22nd May 2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe you can change your root password in single-mode.
If really Fedora,Fedora Core and redhat OS,I prefer using
#passwd username
to change the password

BTW:you PC may be really short of Memory. why not tring some "Old" distributions?