PDA

View Full Version : install apt = dependency hell

svarreby
24th February 2004, 10:43 PM
I am trying to install apt with no luck at all so far.

When I search using YUM (both for apt and k3b), it can't find any of them ..!!!

Next step would be to install them manually. YUM complained that some libraries for K3b were in conflict with some other files.

The same positive result did I get from apt. That package had some dependencies that were unmet (... the librpm* rute). From what I understand, these files belongs to the rpm system (right?) and I already have the latest version installed.

End result: NO k3b & NO apt :( :( :(

I can't understand why this problem doesn't seem to affect a very small number of people ...
I have searched the NET but I can't find any "solution" to this ...

Any bright ideas from you guys 'cause I'm fresh out of mine :)

Bana
25th February 2004, 04:11 AM
Yes, you are not alone, severe dependency problems are like a third hand to me as I have been playing with YUM and such for the last couple of days. I didn't do it this way (I took the long way round) but try adding http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/stable/ to your /etc/yum.conf and then try installing apt again.

bosox
25th February 2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by svarreby
I am trying to install apt with no luck at all so far.

When I search using YUM (both for apt and k3b), it can't find any of them ..!!!

Next step would be to install them manually. YUM complained that some libraries for K3b were in conflict with some other files.

The same positive result did I get from apt. That package had some dependencies that were unmet (... the librpm* rute). From what I understand, these files belongs to the rpm system (right?) and I already have the latest version installed.

End result: NO k3b & NO apt :( :( :(

I can't understand why this problem doesn't seem to affect a very small number of people ...
I have searched the NET but I can't find any "solution" to this ...

Any bright ideas from you guys 'cause I'm fresh out of mine :)

Where did you get your apt package from?

I have had good luck with this one http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/apt/ and it sets up multiple repos HLH
:D

sailor
30th March 2004, 04:54 PM
Hi all, I recently tried to install K3B...yum and apt failed...I did some research and edited yum.conf with different repsoitories..
it found it and started install...and couldn't find some of the dependancis...flac, libid..etc....I tried through apt-get ..edited sources.list to point to different repositories...no luck ...I tried with downloaded rpm..same problem...depedancies...and if I am not mistaken it was telling me the rpm I was installing was not available???
I have tried to get the listed dependancies but not found via yum or apt-get....I am close to giving up...
can anyone point me in the right direction??
thanks, steve

sailor
3rd April 2004, 05:36 AM
Ok i have gotten both yum and k3b to work properly now...although I don't know if was necessary, I did a complete reinstall of FC1...
I did a yum update yum and then yum update...
using the following yum.conf posted here:
http://fedorafaq.org/faq/samples/yum.conf
then because the new version of k3b did not install (same errors as before)...
I installed an older version of K3b (for redhat 9 )....no dependency problems with it...I then did yum update again which found the new version of k3b and all the dependencies that it required....

erikfzr
12th February 2005, 12:23 AM
Hello guys!

I have big problems with apt-get.
I have today installed a Fedora Core 3 (64bit) on a K8 Combo-Z motherboard on an IDE-hdd, i have to find the SATA drivers first, then i will transfer the system to my SATA hdd.

Well,
as usual I installed apt immediately, since it is very simple and efficient to use.
BUT
apt-get update
and there was hell.
Several packages were installed twice (at least that ist what apt-get tells me)
I could guess it is the fault of the 64 bit architecture and the older 32-bit packages installed (with almost the same name).

I am not able to use apt-get anymore, the list of failed dependencies (according to apt, the system works fine, I guess) is so long it is not displayed entirely in my shell.
I have even tried apt-get -f install which deleted almost software.

Does anyone know the solution?

Erik

PS: No network problems or other problems. It gave the same results with a minimal installation!
I have a old 750MHz machine running Fedora Core 3 (but 32 bit), and apt-get works just great.
I have tried out yum: BUT yum install mplayer --> no result
apt-get installer mplayer worked. (Missing repositories?)