PDA

View Full Version : FC9 upgrade works fine but

mha
19th May 2008, 06:01 AM
Hi,
I've upgraded to FC9 last night; everything worked fine. But I am puzzled: all existing applications upgraded I guess, but I wasn't asked to select application !!

1) Does the process upgrade only existing applications ?
2) What shall I do if I need to add more applications from the DVD ?

Thanks in advance.
mha

sri_ram1982
19th May 2008, 10:03 AM
new version of the applications are in the dvd of fedora and you can install those.The upgrade process upgrades the existing application you have installed and the new version is avaliable on the dvd and you can install those new version.

mha
19th May 2008, 12:30 PM
so I just take the RPMs and install ?

sri_ram1982
19th May 2008, 12:47 PM
yes you only need to install the RPMS

mattywix
19th May 2008, 02:39 PM
Well, you should rather register a repository in /etc/yum.repos.d/ that points to your DVD and then use yum to install your software. If you use rpm directly you will have to figure out software dependencies manually which can be tedious.

mha
21st May 2008, 08:51 AM
how can I add the dvd as repository ? can you post the lines please

Thanks
mha

ketan
21st May 2008, 10:08 AM
FC9 upgrade is not working well for me.
I upgraded from fedora 7 to fedora 9 but am running into lot of troubles ...
1. The files and folders on my old desktop are lost. now its a plain desktop. nothing appears.
2. File browser does not start. if starts shutdowns suddenly without doing anything.
3. When it was updating i saw that several files in /etc were being renamed to /etc/file.rpmnew; why?
4. When i boot up, internet does not start automatically. i have to explicitly restart the network services.
5. i am not able to browse services.

assalane
21st May 2008, 10:32 AM
something must have went wrong during the upgrade. how did you performed it ? from the dvd or over internet ?
1-For your desktop see what your home folder contains. If you are the only user it should contain only 1 folder (2 if your home folder is on a separate partition) maybe the installation messed up the users accounts. if not your desktop files could be on the other folder.

2-please post the output of "nautilus --no-desktop" in a terminal

3-seems like you upgraded it over the internet then, don't have a clue but don't thinks its relevant

4-you mean the nm-applet ?

5-can you still see the services section under system->administration ?

I would recommend a clean install. it would be much easier to solves all those problems. AND I would recommend NOT to switch to fedora 9 so soon. Try fedora 8 It's working much more smoothly And you won't have to deal with packagekit

assalane
21st May 2008, 10:41 AM
@ mha
Do you have a working connection ? I would suggest using the repositories set out by default, they have all the software that on the DVD, but are updated. if so you just need to do a
"yum install xxx yyy zzz"

ketan
21st May 2008, 12:24 PM
The output:

[ketan@localhost:~]$ nautilus --no-desktop
nautilus: /opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/libexempi.so.3)
How do I resolve this?

Now I am a bit reluctant to revert to fc 8. in the hope that these problems will soon get away. and also will leave me with some learning.

My /home is on a separate partition. So I do not think it has done anything with that.

ketan
21st May 2008, 12:52 PM
@assalane
Now I got back my desktop items as well as the file browser is also working. I removed the /opt/adobe ... folder from my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it worked.

My next issue is that the network does not start by default. I have to do a 'service network restart' in order to connect to the net.

Also Why did it changed the names of several /etc/conf files to .rpmnew .... is it okay? or i should do something else?

marko
21st May 2008, 04:39 PM
@assalane

Also Why did it changed the names of several /etc/conf files to .rpmnew .... is it okay? or i should do something else?

Those are config files that it thinks that you changed so that they
are not the same as they were in the original package.

If it just were to overwrite the file without warning then you'd lose
all your modifications. In some cases that can be a lot of work
to redo. So it leaves the old file and
puts the new file as <filename>.conf.rpmnew and
leaves it up to you to compare the files and merge the
differences

diff filename.conf filename.conf.rpmnew

"filename.conf" should be the merge of your required mods and
the new stuff in the rpmnew file, then delete filename.conf.rpmnew

ketan
21st May 2008, 04:42 PM
Marko,

That helps.

Thanks.

assalane
21st May 2008, 07:30 PM
It's really strange that the network service doesn't start. try deleting .gnome .gnome2 .gnome2_private from /home/ketan and reboot. your configuration should be reset to default after that. (you'll have to set your wallpaper, your themes and such. Or if you don't want to, you can alway try login in as root from the gdm, to see if the network is working. If it does, It means there is a conflict with your old configuration and the new. I would even suggest deleting all the configuration files
rm -rf /home/ketan/.*

ketan
21st May 2008, 08:45 PM
I deleted .gnome* and rebooted, but that did not help. I would not like to delete .* as that will wipe out configuration of several other applications that are part of my research.

On a side note, when i was running fc7 (yesterday) I always noticed that service eth0 took exceptionally long time to start but it certainly started. Now, the service *does* gets start but no network.

Apart from that, when I run service restart command, i get some error as follows:
[ketan@localhost:~]$ sudo service network restart
[sudo] password for ketan:
Shutting down interface eth0: [ OK ]
Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up loopback interface: [ OK ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(4494) is already running - exiting.

This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
on ftp.isc.org. Features have been added and other changes
have been made to the base software release in order to make
it work better with this distribution.

Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com

exiting.
failed.
[FAILED]

Any clue why this is happening?

Thanks.

assalane
21st May 2008, 09:11 PM
maybe there is a problem with the dhcp. are you using a router ? maybe the client lease time is too short...

When you're talking about service you're talking about network manager if I understand correctly. try
killall nm-applet
nm-applet.
and see if this yield some other error
what card are you using ?

other than that I really don't see... this problem is really strange.

ketan
22nd May 2008, 12:25 PM
Hi assalane
My ethernet card is:

Tigon3 [partno(BCM5752KFBG) rev 6002 PHY(5752)] (PCI Express) 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet

100Mbps full-duplex enabled.

But seems that my dhcp configuration is not optimal. Could you give some good pointers in order get dhcp configured ...

Thanks for all your efforts to help me out!

assalane
22nd May 2008, 08:22 PM
If you're using a router you just have to type the address of it in a browser. I've a Linksys so it's 192.168.1.1 for me. you type in the user name and password (user=admin password=admin if they are default) then you just have to look for the dhcp sections.

But I think this is a long shot. Have you tried loggin in as root to see if the problem is there too ? or checked if nm-applet is showing some errors ?

ketan
22nd May 2008, 08:44 PM
i am part of a university network. i tried to log in as root and same result. i have to manually re-enable the network. i did not see any errors with nm-applet.

dan.btown
24th May 2008, 08:58 PM
how can I add the dvd as repository ? can you post the lines please

Thanks
mha

Hi, pls. jump to the following thread for the information you requested:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189596.

I would appreciate to hear if this works for you, too.

Thx.

-- Dan

mikebg
19th June 2008, 10:31 AM
The output:

[ketan@localhost:~]$ nautilus --no-desktop
nautilus: /opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/libexempi.so.3)
How do I resolve this?

Now I am a bit reluctant to revert to fc 8. in the hope that these problems will soon get away. and also will leave me with some learning.

My /home is on a separate partition. So I do not think it has done anything with that.
The solution is very simple.
cd /opt/Adobe/Reader8/Reader/intellinux/lib/
mkdir dont-use
mv libstdc++.so* libgcc_s.so* dont-use/

Acrobat reader will now work just fine! (Thanks to the 'matlab' forum).