PDA

View Full Version : tg3 NIC problem in F9, worked fine in F8

brian1975
19th May 2008, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I have an HP DL360G3 server with the Broadcom BCM5703X NIC in it. This machine has run F6, F7, and F8 without any problems, and it has always used the tg3 GigabitEthernet NIC driver. Now, with F9, it no longer works on boot. All the proper network settings are where they should be in /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but they don't seem to get loaded at boot time. The NIC comes up with no IP configuration. If I manually run ifconfig and give it an address, then it works fine until reboot, when it doesn't load the settings again.

What happened with the network init scripts under F9 that this would stop working?

--b

sri_ram1982
19th May 2008, 05:42 AM
I think the network service is not running.just check whether network service runs.otherwise you can start by the comman""service network restart".you can make it on for next boot by CHKCONFIG NETWORK ON.I think it will work.

brian1975
19th May 2008, 06:52 AM
That seems to have done the trick. Why is the default for the network service set to disabled?

roundboy
19th May 2008, 07:45 PM
I think because you specified a static IP address? That is probably why I had this problem. I finally figured out that NetworkManager was supposed to be used, as opposed to the network service. Simply select:
System
Administration
Network

highlight your device, click Edit, and place a checkmark for:
Controlled by NetworkManager

Press OK. Close (you will probably want to re-boot).

Note, you will not need the network service if you do this.

I found the following confirmation on:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html#network

brian1975
20th May 2008, 03:36 AM
How annoying. I don't run X on any of my servers, so NetworkManager isn't an option. I tried installing using my kickstart server, and the network service was switched off, and I also did an interactive installation, which also set the network service to off. I'd think that disabling the network would be considered a bug.