PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at resizing partition

brandoncolorado
18th May 2008, 10:35 PM
I am installing Fedora 9, i have a 90GB NTFS with Windows XP. I used resize partition to 45gb. The process has been running for maybe 2 hours now. The status bar on the resizing window looks kind of jumbled. I can still use Fedora though (I am writing this now from the live CD). Is this normal to take 2 hours? I am scared to stop the process, but I have not seen any errors.

stoat
18th May 2008, 11:59 PM
Is this normal to take 2 hours?Hello brandoncolorado,

I don't really know the answer to that. That resize thing is a brand new feature in anaconda, so I haven't used it. But going from 90 GB down to 45 GB is a lot (IMO) for any partition manager. Potentially huge amounts of data are having to be moved to new sectors. That could take a while. I would not interfere with it yet. Does the hard drive LED indicate some vigorous activity going on?

If this ends badly, you will not be the first person to ruin an operating system with a partition manager. I always recommend to be conservative when shrinking down a partition with an operating system. At least backup important things first. A disk image (e.g., Acronis True Image) would be an ideal method to recover from a partition manager disaster. Also first delete unnecessary junk, clear Internet caches, compact e-mail folders, and defragment (if it's Windows). Some people defrag several times. Shrink from the "back end" and not the "front end". Consider the effect on the boot loader of adding new partitions "in front of" a partition with an operating system.

Good luck. I hope this works out. Report what happens either way, if you're willing. I'd like to know. And that partition resize thing is at the top of the list of Changes in Anaconda (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda) in the Fedora 9 release notes.