PDA

View Full Version : Installation DVD problem

f.law
18th May 2008, 08:08 AM
I downloaded ISO of FC9. I got that into the DVD. But when I put it in the drive and restart. It doesn't Install from the drive. It boots from my Hard Disk. My booting option is fine. B'coz when I do the same with FC8 it works.

Kindly Help

marcrblevins
18th May 2008, 08:58 AM
Try another computer and see if you got the same issue, bad DVD burn?

LinuxHippy
18th May 2008, 11:24 PM
I had the same problem...no hard drive install from another hard drive in FC9 DVD for x86_64 in text mode install. I did it with FC8.

f.law
20th May 2008, 07:58 AM
Actually what I did is : I opened the ISO file into a folder then Put those files into the DVD directly. in my DVD all the files are in the root.

What should I do ?
Thanks

xtayasf
20th May 2008, 10:06 AM
Actually what I did is : I opened the ISO file into a folder then Put those files into the DVD directly. in my DVD all the files are in the root.

What should I do ?
Thanks

that's the mistake . you should burn the iso directly. but not to open it

LinuxHippy
20th May 2008, 10:31 AM
I burned and installed from DVD ok....how could I have installed from an external hard drive?

xtayasf
21st May 2008, 11:51 AM
1 . learn how to use "grub for dos"
2. copy "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz" from the ISO to a FAT32 drive
3. boot by grub
(1)grub>find /vmlinuz
  (hd0,9)
  (2)grub>kernel (hd0,9)/vmlinuz
  (3)grub>initrd (hd0,9)/initrd.img
  (4)grub>boot

then you will get into the installer
remember (hd0,x) the x is a number depence on where you place the vmlinuz

LinuxHippy
21st May 2008, 09:30 PM
So I copy the iso files and directories to my fat32 partition and put vmlinuz and initrd.img on the top directory. Then do I edit grub.conf like this:

title grub for dos
root (hd0,9)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.img

xtayasf
22nd May 2008, 12:58 AM
1.the iso should also be put on the top directory like D:\ F8-DVD-i386.iso but not D:\fedora\F8-DVD-i386.iso

2.you don't need to edit grub.conf . but to edit "boot.ini" in C:\ you won't see it if you havn't show hiden files and system files.so,please show them first ,then you will find them.

add C:\grldr = “Grub” to boot.ini

3.reboot then choose Grub