PDA

View Full Version : Newbie:How to get DivX movies to play

sturtles
17th May 2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Guys, I downloaded the DivX plugin 6.1.1, but even after running the install, it seems totem does not know the divx plugin is installed, and it asks me to buy the complete plugin set.

I've tried searching around, and there seem to be this Yum program that can install xdiv. Managed to find one 3.2.16, but i've no idea how to install this as i do not know how to turn it into an RPM file.

Edit:
//All it consists of are some makefile commands in a RPM directory, and a few .py files which i do not //know how to use

Really a new user here, so please bear with me

tinti
17th May 2008, 02:43 PM
I think this page should help you getting all needed plugins and media players

F9 Tips & Tricks (http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f9-tips.php)

CraigWatson
17th May 2008, 03:05 PM
If you install and use the Livna repository for Yum (Fedora's package manager) you should be fine. I use VLC to play all my video files and it generally works for pretty much any video file I throw at it:

To enable Livna, enter these commands in a terminal:

su -
[your root password]
yum -y install yum-priorities
nano /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/priorities.conf

At the end of the file, add the line check_obsoletes = 1 so it looks like this:

[main]
enabled = 1
check_obsoletes = 1

Then, assuming you're using Fedora 8 (if you're using Fedora 9, try changing the "8" in the below code to "9" - it's untested but should work)

rpm -Uvh http://www.fedorafaq.org/f8/yum http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm

Then, to install VLC:

yum install vlc

That should also pull down all the related codecs etc :)

sturtles
17th May 2008, 04:54 PM
Great! the Vlc seems to be installed.

Is there anyway i can find out where it is installed? And for linux programs, are there ways to uninstall?

Thanks!

CraigWatson
17th May 2008, 07:00 PM
Great! the Vlc seems to be installed.

Is there anyway i can find out where it is installed? And for linux programs, are there ways to uninstall?

Thanks!
You don't necessarily need to know where it's installed, it'll be accessible within your main menu through Applications --> Sound and Video, or you can choose the default program that opens a file extension (e.g. .wmv, .mp3, .mpg) by right-clicking on one of those files and going to the furthest tab on the right (the name escapes me!) and choosing the appropriate program.

As for uninstalling, you can either uninstall via the Add/Remove Programs menu or through the terminal by typing:

su -
[Your root password]
yum erase [program name]

Example: yum erase vlc

I generally find using the command line much easier than the GUI, and it's a lot more powerful when you get used to it, but it's all down to personal preference :)

sturtles
18th May 2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Craig, it works!

I can finally get my movies to play correctly.

Would the files in the livna repository work with other linux OS like mandriva, knoppix etc?

CraigWatson
18th May 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi Craig, it works!

I can finally get my movies to play correctly.

Would the files in the livna repository work with other linux OS like mandriva, knoppix etc?
Great :)

I personally wouldn't know first-hand, I would think that the Livna repo is Fedora only, though it could work with other RPM-based distros - I wouldn't have a clue if Mandriva and Knoppix use RPMs or DEBs for their packages.