PDA

View Full Version : FC9 usb boot problems (unable to find any removable devices)

rodanj
17th May 2008, 07:06 AM
I'm trying to install a live image of FC9 on my usb drive. I have downloaded the live-usb creator program and the FC9 i686 live iso file. When i run the live-usb creator, I can point it to where the iso file on my usb drive is without any problem. However, I cannot select anything at all in the "Target Device" dropdown menu. Therefore, I cannot click the Create Live USB button since it is disabled until I am able to select my usb drive as the "Target Device." It says "Unable to find any removable devices" in the message window as soon as I open the live-usb creator program. This is odd since I am able to access my usb drive without any problem in windows explorer. Anyone know of a way to get this working? :confused: :confused: :confused:

TCPBryan
3rd November 2008, 11:12 PM
I also have this same problem. I would really like some help from one of you brainiacs at there as I am a Linux newbie and would dearly love to at some point drop Windows completely. I unfortunately have had 0 luck partitioning and installing 2 systems on the same hard drive so am looking to this to be a possible solution to get a good start at learning how to use Linux before making the big jump.

TCPBryan
20th November 2008, 09:31 PM
I ended up using an SD card and a USB read/write device to get this done. The install tool recognized the SD card as removable memory and was able to install to it. Then put the SD card in the USB reader, plug it in, set your BIOS to boot from USB before hard drive and restart the computer. Wow there I was running linux again. It sure felt good:).

I tried the FAQ and their point about using the command C:\liveusb-creator-2.5> liveusb-creator --force F: (where F is the USB device) did not work for me either.

I hope this helps someone who had the same problem as myself.

Running Fedora 9 off a USB device, I never thought I would get there:).

Now if I can just get that darn persistent storage thing figured out.:(

ryptyde
20th November 2008, 10:07 PM
I ended up using an SD card and a USB read/write device to get this done. The install tool recognized the SD card as removable memory and was able to install to it. Then put the SD card in the USB reader, plug it in, set your BIOS to boot from USB before hard drive and restart the computer. Wow there I was running linux again. It sure felt good:).

I tried the FAQ and their point about using the command C:\liveusb-creator-2.5> liveusb-creator --force F: (where F is the USB device) did not work for me either.

I hope this helps someone who had the same problem as myself.

Running Fedora 9 off a USB device, I never thought I would get there:).

Now if I can just get that darn persistent storage thing figured out.:(

It looks like you were using the Windows version of Liveusb-creator and I think there may be a newer version out. As for the persistent overlay you should be able to adjust the slider on the gui and as long as your usb device is large enough to hold the live image and the overlay it should be no problem. Example, live image 700MB +persistent overlay 1024MB = 2GB usb device.

Fedora 10 has the ability to create an encrypted persistent home so if you lose your device no one but you can access it and also upon subsequent installs of a live image your home is preserved. :)

jjr87
26th September 2009, 05:08 AM
I had the same problem and couldnt figure it out for the longest time....until I noticed the refresh symbol and clicked it. Bam, just like that, the "Create Live USB" button lit up and I was good to go. Try it out.

rskokan
17th April 2012, 06:22 PM
On Windows, USB flash drive with a bootable linux image - so probably no recognizable file system.

Reported error:

[creator:948] Unable to get GetVolumeInformation(E:): (1005, 'GetVolumeInformation', 'The volume does not contain a recognized file system.\r\nPlease make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.')

george_toolan
19th April 2012, 11:45 AM
Is there a question hiding somewhere?