PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in init 3 and init 5 won't work...

Haidee
17th May 2008, 06:36 AM
Heyas all,

I installed Fedora 9 with no problems until I decided to be impatient and follow this guide to get Nvidia going (I have a Geforce Go 6800). http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=894829&postcount=2

I got all the way through it until the end when it says 'reboot'.

I rebooted and am now stuck in init 3 mode (dunno what its actually called). Just the command lines.

I log in as root, type init 5 and it starts to do it mentioning the driver Nvidia (173.08-1.fc9) and gets to loading Anacron then doesn't move from there.

Also tried typing startx at the prompt and nothing happens.

Have looked around other threads and edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf back to using the nv driver, but no change.

I don't have a Live CD for F9 just the full install DVD.

Any ideas? Or do I need to do a full reinstall? I don't want to lose my emails in Evolution though...

dejan.kitic
17th May 2008, 11:46 AM
I would suggest editing repo files, and taking off exclude lines...aswell making sure it points to fedora 9 repo.
After that, yum clean, then yum update, and it will restore the Xorg from FC9 repo...After that, get the nvidia 173 beta driver from nvidia site...and do the steps i posted in one of my earlier posts...That way you ll keep FC9 's Xorg and make it still work with nvidia driver.
Cheers,
D

starfire-1
18th May 2008, 04:30 PM
Here's something to try...

I installed the lastest NVIDIA beta (173.08) on FC8 (with no 3D support) and although I could get the X server to run, when I tried to go to runlevel 5, it just kept dumping me back to 3.

My problem was the SeLinux did not have an access rule for what I did to get the server to run. This may or may not be your problem, but it is easy to check.

1) Boot your FC9 to runlevel 3 (at Grub, edit the kernel line and append a '3')
2) Login as root
3) enter setenforce 0
This sets SeLinux to permissive
4) enter init 5

See if that works. If it does, then go to the SeLinux Management GUI and set the default mode to Permissive - or you can spend alot of time to figure out what files need access rights :)

starfire-1
18th May 2008, 04:34 PM
Sorry - that was I installed 173.08 on FC9!

Haidee
19th May 2008, 08:04 AM
dejan.kitic
- have changed back the repo files
- as root typed yum clean all
- when I go yum update I get a failure with DNS - I have ADSL connected through a network card which is always on - is there a way to access network manager while in init 3 to make sure the card is enabled? I noticed when I'm in gui mode that sometimes it is disabled.

starfire-1
- tried what you suggested and still a no go :-(

I do notice during boot up that it seems to complain that Nvidia (173.08-1.fc9) is already installed on this kernel. It says this once while booting up and then again when I type init 5.

Any more ideas?

dejan.kitic
19th May 2008, 11:22 AM
dejan.kitic
- have changed back the repo files
- as root typed yum clean all
- when I go yum update I get a failure with DNS - I have ADSL connected through a network card which is always on - is there a way to access network manager while in init 3 to make sure the card is enabled? I noticed when I'm in gui mode that sometimes it is disabled.

starfire-1
- tried what you suggested and still a no go :-(

I do notice during boot up that it seems to complain that Nvidia (173.08-1.fc9) is already installed on this kernel. It says this once while booting up and then again when I type init 5.

Any more ideas?

Type /sbin/ifconfig -a and find which one is your lan card( for example eth0)..
then do

ifconfig eth0 up
dhclient

to pick up address from DHCP, if using DHCP.
If you use static address then you need:

ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(for example 82,115,34,122) netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(for example 255.255.255.0) and prolly you ll need default route, which you add with:

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You mught also try

service NetworkManager start

tho i m not sure that would do the work.
That should give you network, then do the yum clean alland after it yum update.
Hope it helps.

Haidee
19th May 2008, 12:01 PM
I ended up just doing a reinstall of Fedora - I lost my emails, but at least its working :-p

Thank you both for your help.