PDA

View Full Version : New To Fedora: GRUB Issue

slowz3r
17th May 2008, 06:21 AM
Well I downloaded the DVD image of FC9, so i pop it in and go threw the install steps that come on the screen, nothing complicated nothing difficult just next next next fill in some stuff the basic stuff.

At the end of the install it asks to reboot so ofcourse i do and when it begins to restart the GRUB screen comes up and just sits there with just the word GRUB on the screen.

Any ideas or can i get pointed to a tutorial for FC 9 install

Hobashira
17th May 2008, 07:32 AM
Well I downloaded the DVD image of FC9, so i pop it in and go threw the install steps that come on the screen, nothing complicated nothing difficult just next next next fill in some stuff the basic stuff.

At the end of the install it asks to reboot so ofcourse i do and when it begins to restart the GRUB screen comes up and just sits there with just the word GRUB on the screen.

Any ideas or can i get pointed to a tutorial for FC 9 install

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=188267

jshreve
17th May 2008, 08:18 PM
I encountered the same problem after an upgrade from FC8 to FC9. Apparently the bootloader was corrupted. I booted from the install DVD and selected the rescue mode. I then did the chroot command from the on-screen instructions and then executed the grub-install command to re-install the bootloader. The system then booted normally.

glennzo
17th May 2008, 10:00 PM
Once you get to the command prompt with rescue mode

sh3.2#
the commands are, at least for Fedora 8,

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda
If there are no errors reboot and you should get a menu.