PDA

View Full Version : F9 will not install on my 64 or 32 bit machines

miraceti
17th May 2008, 05:38 AM
Hi Guys, I have been using F8 on my AMD 64 for ages and now and would love to try F9, however it will not install on either of my computers.

The AMD 64 is a is an AMD Athalon 3200 64 bit, 2G DDR on a MSI RS480M2 motherboard

When I try to boot the installation 64 bit dvd the output I get on the screen is:

Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok

Decompressing Linux... Done.
Booting the kernel.
kernal alive
Panic: early exeption 0e rip 10:ffffffff8101baf0 error 0 cr2 ffffffff5fb030

On my Dell Dimension 4550 the 32 bit dvd boots up ok and the installation starts but after I have chosen my Language (English) and my keyboard (US) it then claims that the dvd cannot be recognised and asks me to insert the F9 cd, but clearly I have booted from the F9 dvd.

Can anyone shed some light on either of these two problems please?

Thanks

dis5tilled
18th May 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys, I have been using F8 on my AMD 64 for ages and now and would love to try F9, however it will not install on either of my computers.

The AMD 64 is a is an AMD Athalon 3200 64 bit, 2G DDR on a MSI RS480M2 motherboard

When I try to boot the installation 64 bit dvd the output I get on the screen is:

Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok

Decompressing Linux... Done.
Booting the kernel.
kernal alive
Panic: early exeption 0e rip 10:ffffffff8101baf0 error 0 cr2 ffffffff5fb030

On my Dell Dimension 4550 the 32 bit dvd boots up ok and the installation starts but after I have chosen my Language (English) and my keyboard (US) it then claims that the dvd cannot be recognised and asks me to insert the F9 cd, but clearly I have booted from the F9 dvd.

Can anyone shed some light on either of these two problems please?

Thanks
to do (http://groups.google.com/group/redhat-linux-fedora/browse_thread/thread/044d0ec10eecf836)
if you beat me to it, say how you got on

miraceti
19th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to be able to put it to any use, sorry ;( but thanks anyway for taking the time to help I do appreciate your efforts.

Dangermouse
19th May 2008, 08:24 AM
Hi, have you tried to install the live cd? you might have better luck (maybe) it worked for me when the install dvd kept borking.

miraceti
19th May 2008, 08:47 AM
I'll give it a go, I'll have to download first ;) I just assumed that the live dvd would be the same.

ShivaS
19th May 2008, 12:07 PM
... and check the MD5 checksum of the downloaded image, to prevent using bad F9 isos.

dis5tilled
22nd May 2008, 08:43 AM
I'll give it a go, I'll have to download first ;) I just assumed that the live dvd would be the same.

The live 'CD' is good to go as have just installed
[that earlier reply was confusing so bugzilla'd] (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=447183) it :cool:

miraceti
22nd May 2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for that heads up :) I'll get the live cd when my I get into my next month, as my download limit is very close to running out long before I run out of month :( I have downloaded 3 dvds of F9 one from my isps content servers, a torrent ( both 64 bit) and a 32 bit. Both 64 bit versions were faulty ! :(
Thanks very much for all of your help, I'm sure all will go well when I get a "good" image ;)

miraceti
9th June 2008, 11:18 AM
But I have decided to upgrade my mobo cpu and ram, I've been wanting to do it for ages and now I have a good "reason". I tried out the live cd and the install cds on a friends core2duo on a Asus P5KPL-cm and they worked perfectly, so guess what I am upgrading too ;)

Thanks for you help much appreciated :)