PDA

View Full Version : fedora 9 can use deb?

leorex
17th May 2008, 12:51 AM
Fedora 9 is very very good, other than I minor that I have to mount my ntfs manually.beat Ubuntu on distrowatch!
anyway, there is something really weird on distrowatch about Fedora's feature:
Highlights: PackageKit, a cross-distribution package management solution;
does that mean that I can install stuff like debian package on my fedora 9? if that is the case, how can i add the debian apt source into my packageki?
thank u very much

christianvl
17th May 2008, 01:32 AM
Not at all. I don't have F9 (yet!), but as far as I understood, packagekit is a new gui frontend for using yum. So, instead fo using pirut or yumex, you will use packagekit. It's only a new way for using yum. However, it seems it was designed to also work with apt (and other package managers). I don't think you can use it to install debian packages in fedora... and even if you can, i wouldn't go for it... you can already get some good trouble mixing alternative fedora repos...

Demz
17th May 2008, 01:46 AM
Fedora 9 is very very good, other than I minor that I have to mount my ntfs manually.beat Ubuntu on distrowatch!
anyway, there is something really weird on distrowatch about Fedora's feature:
Highlights: PackageKit, a cross-distribution package management solution;
does that mean that I can install stuff like debian package on my fedora 9? if that is the case, how can i add the debian apt source into my packageki?
thank u very much
look for a program called ( Alien ) i think its called, that will convert a .deb to a rpm .. im sure JN4 has mentioned it in another thread somewhere

leorex
17th May 2008, 02:26 AM
what i don't understand is that it says it is cross-distribution....
what does that suppose to mean, if it still the same as pirut?

Seve
17th May 2008, 02:37 AM
Hello:
Perhaps reading through here might explain it a little better.
What is PackageKit? (http://www.packagekit.org/pk-intro.html)

Seve

bob
17th May 2008, 02:52 AM
Here's the description: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-intro.html which talks about unifying the installers, not the packages.

juanfgs
17th May 2008, 02:58 AM
what i don't understand is that it says it is cross-distribution....
what does that suppose to mean, if it still the same as pirut?
The main idea behind packagekit AFAIK is to provide a frontend to ALL package management software, a excelent way to reduce the effort when creating GUIs and other software that interacts with the package manager.

leorex
17th May 2008, 10:42 PM
thank u very much guys!
.....still cannot use deb directly under fedora.......
:(

JN4OldSchool
17th May 2008, 10:52 PM
thank u very much guys!

http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/alien/

I have used it to good effect going from .deb to .rpm and from .rpm to .deb. It will not always work right though. You can always compile anything from source and this is often easier.

juanfgs
17th May 2008, 11:29 PM
thank u very much guys!
Well depending on what are you trying to install, sometimes you can open up a deb package and extract the data.tar.gz and copy the files manually. I use this to get big packages like nexuiz, warsow or acrobat reader from the debian/ubuntu repos of my friends.

NEVER DO THIS TO REPLACE LIBRARIES OR OTHER PACKAGES THAT CAN BREAK THE SYSTEM.

unless you know what you're doing.

Jman
19th May 2008, 10:55 PM
Thing is, those are already available from yum repositories.

More than being in a different package format, distros use a different environment. Package naming conventions are slightly different, as are compiler options, specific versions of libraries, and scripts. So I don't use debs on Fedora.

forkbomb
20th May 2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah.... so what exactly have you found in .deb that you couldn't find an .rpm of? Worst case scenario, compiling from a source tarball would be better than the allegedly iffy performance of Alien.

As for acrobat reader, isn't there an rpm on the official Adobe site? :confused:

juanfgs
20th May 2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah.... so what exactly have you found in .deb that you couldn't find an .rpm of? Worst case scenario, compiling from a source tarball would be better than the allegedly iffy performance of Alien.

As for acrobat reader, isn't there an rpm on the official Adobe site? :confused:

I don't know why OP wants to do that, but I have a really bad connection, and I have the deb packages available on the computer of my friends (accesible by LAN), so it saves me a lot of time.

However I don't like to mix those things with the stuff that I installed with the package manager so I usually put them on a different place.