PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9 and KDE4 problems

barcaroller
17th May 2008, 12:45 AM
I have four F9/KDE4 questions:

- How can I tell KDE4 to show virtual desktop "names", not just virtual desktop numbers?

- Where can I choose and configure the screensavers?

- How can I create a new (second) desktop "panel"?

- My Intel HDA audio card no longer seems to work (it worked up until Fedora 8). I've tried various 'yum updates' to no avail. Any suggestions?

XulChris
17th May 2008, 08:20 PM
I have four F9/KDE4 questions:

- How can I tell KDE4 to show virtual desktop "names", not just virtual desktop numbers?

- Where can I choose and configure the screensavers?

- How can I create a new (second) desktop "panel"?

- My Intel HDA audio card no longer seems to work (it worked up until Fedora 8). I've tried various 'yum updates' to no avail. Any suggestions?

I don't think the desktop pager can display names in 4.0, try again in 4.1
Screensavers can be configured in the desktop drilldown icon from the system settings screen
You cannot create a second panel in 4.0.x, but you can place widgets directly on the desktop (right click desktop and select add widget)

OralDeckard
18th May 2008, 01:33 AM
I don't really want to clutter my desktop with widgets. You said a sceond panel could be created. Can you tell us how to do that ?

XulChris
18th May 2008, 02:08 AM
I said you cannot with 4.0.x. You might try:

yum --enablerepo=rawhide update 'kde*'

Let me know how it goes. :D

Ujeen
18th May 2008, 08:55 PM
Could I make this single, full of great graphic design solutions, this black piece of pain ...this stuff (somebody's calling it "the Panel") hidden ?

s7ellar
23rd June 2008, 10:54 PM
can you get rid of the panel ?? I can't seem to find that option

OralDeckard
24th June 2008, 02:10 AM
I suspect you cannot. I am beginning to suspect it is part of a general assumption that providing fewer options will make it easier for folks coming in from Windows. I believe this is a mistake, but a mistake that will be played out.

I have kept an F9 virtual machine for monitoring the progress of F9, and am very glad I kepy my F8s for serious work. Every day I fire up my F9 VM and check to see if there are any new updates. And I have not found a single file to be updated in about three weeks. I have two repos, Fedora and Updates, and have not found a single update in a very long time. Perhaps a major upload of the pent-up backload of updates will occur when KDE 4.1 is released in July.

I hope so, and hope they take care of some serious problems. But I wish they were being released as they become available. If my first contact with Fedora were with F9 I would go away with a very bad misimpression, never to realize what a wonderful OS it is with F8, and will be again, either later with F9 or with F10.

For anyone just trying Fedora and being frustrated with F9, why don't you try F8. You will love it, and it will tide you over until F9 gets better.

s7ellar
24th June 2008, 06:00 AM
thats pretty irritating, I would expect more options in the newer version. I would like to have this dock at the bottom of my desktop and i can't get rid of this panel...i've instead just made it as small as it would go... which really doesnt look all that good

OralDeckard
24th June 2008, 05:29 PM
Well from that I can tell that you are using Gnome. I have found Gnome to be much better than KDE in F9. In F8 I prefer KDE. There are three things we are dealing with: the Gnome Desktop, the KDE desktop and the new version of Fedora. It is good to remeber that these desktops are produced by third parties, over which Fedora has no control, and that these two aren't the only ones.

I would be very happy to try F9 with the old KDE 3.5. My fear is that the problems with these new desktops are not seen as problems to the folks who make them. Stripped down and abridged to the point of being worthless may be what they think is the ultimate objective. That seems strange considering how hard they worked to get their old versions working so well, but it may reflect a change in management and a new set of preferences.

So jumping ship and swimming over to Ubuntu or some such will only result in finding the new Gnome and new KDE coming in there as well.

But does the new desktops keep old programs like fwfstab from working ? It shouldn't. Programs that can be invoked from commandline should work just as well. Yet it doesn't.

But back in F8 it is fine. So I'll keep my F9 VM around just to keep track of when or if it gets better, and keep on working with what the devs worked so hard to perfect before F9.

s7ellar
25th June 2008, 12:59 AM
I was actually trying to get rid of the panel in KDE(4) which doesnt seem possible right now. In gnome I am able to remove the panel with ease but I didn't really care to have a dock in gnome...and also this completely unrelated but Im on a laptop and the battery lasts like 20 min in the new KDE but seems fine in gnome. I don't know why it would do that

OralDeckard
25th June 2008, 03:58 AM
Well gnome usually has the panel at the top so I thought that was what you were referring to moving to the bottom.

Not only can you not remove the panel in KDE, you can't create a second one. I take the opposite approach. In KDE 3.5 in F8 I have all my icons in the bottom panel, and a second panel dedicated to being a taskbar. There are no icons anywhere on the rest of the desktop. That way I don't have to go digging around trying to find the covered icons when I need them. They are always in sight, and the desktop is uncluttered.

But that's the nice thing about it. It is configurable, so you can have it your way and I can have it mine. It isn't one size fits all. My way is better for me. Your way is better for you. and neither of us has to do it the only way.

I have always preferred KDE, but unless things change in July's 4.1 release, I think I will just give it up. The parts of KDE that I don't like are not it failures to function. Its the part where it is intentional. If they keep going in that direction I'll just have to get off their train.

s7ellar
25th June 2008, 06:49 AM
it wasn't that i wanted a panel on the bottom but rather an os x like dock there and wanted to get rid of the panel and just use a desktop widget for the sys tray and different compiz functions to switch between windows.I miss having KDE so much more customizable i think i will be going back to gnome, especially because of that battery issue. have you heard anyone else mention that problem? i guess ill go looking around, ive been to lazy and busy to lately

rdieter
28th June 2008, 05:13 AM
to add a panel: right click desktop -> "Add Panel"
to remove panel, right click on it -> "Remove this panel"

this is from my use of kde-4.1beta2, so it may be difference in kde-4.0. if it is, don't fret and be patient, 4.1 should land (in updates-testing) near the end of July.