PDA

View Full Version : Linux newsreaders

sidebrnz
17th May 2008, 12:09 AM
I've been dual-booting Win98 and Linux for a number of years. Now, tired of the constant rebooting for trivial reasons (Why can't an AV restart itself after an update without rebooting?) I'm switching over to Linux as my main OS.

I've been using Forte Agent for Usenet for a very long time. It claims that it works under Wine, but isn't supported, so I tried it, using the copy on my DOS partition. It worked. Sort of. It opened, downloaded headers, retrieved articles and displayed them. Every time I tried to reply, however, the program closed without explanation. I'd ask Forte about it, but as it says above, they don't support it.

Does anybody know anything about this, or if it's because it's on the DOS side. Obviously, if that's all I can copy it over when I make the change.

If not, does anybody know which, if any Linux newsreaders can import the data from it, such as my many .sigs and a carefully-crafted killfile. I've looked at Pam, and emailed a question about importing, but nobody responded. It's not the most urgent question in the world, but it would be nice to be able to keep everything instead of having to re-enter everything by hand.

pete_1967
17th May 2008, 12:20 AM
Have a look at XPN (xpn.altervista.org), might have features you're after.

sidebrnz
17th May 2008, 01:34 AM
That just might do it. I can always bring my .sigs across, and a copy of the killfile to add. Any other suggestions?/

Wilfred
17th May 2008, 05:30 PM
pan, knews, slrn and gnus?

sidebrnz
17th May 2008, 07:34 PM
...and do any of those allow me to import from my Forte Agent? If not, they're not much help, are they?