PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

davfel
16th May 2008, 04:49 PM
hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has ran across this issue,

"unable to enumerate usb on port 5 "

when booting fedora 9?

and if you can tell me if this is an issue or not, it had never done that for me on previous releases,

Also, when starting firefox it seems that it goes to a page

"www.s.com"

on its own not matter what I set the home page to,

any feed back would be appreciated

thanks in advance,
dave

ebelog
16th May 2008, 05:21 PM
You'll likely get a better response by splitting up your questions into their own threads and giving them appropriate subject titles. People are more likely to recognize and reply to posts such as "Unable to enumerate USB on port 5" or "Firefox loading www.s.com." It will also benefit other users who are searching the post titles for the same issues in the future.

At any rate, I've seen the www.s.com problem mentioned before, and in at least some cases, it comes from an issue with the install. To fix it, you can try to uninstall firefox, delete all of the profile data, and then reinstall firefox.

jonathan47
17th May 2008, 02:12 AM
hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has ran across this issue,

"unable to enumerate usb on port 5 "

when booting fedora 9?

and if you can tell me if this is an issue or not, it had never done that for me on previous releases,

Also, when starting firefox it seems that it goes to a page

"www.s.com"

on its own not matter what I set the home page to,

any feed back would be appreciated

thanks in advance,
dave
On your first question, yes I am getting the same "unable to enumerate usb" on two ports. I just noticed this after installing the latest security updates to F9, which included a new kernel.

There's another recent thread, titled something like "wierd results after kernel upgrade," that reports the same error message. The replies basically suggested not to worry about it.

jcvlz
29th May 2008, 11:22 PM
If you're launching firefox from an icon, try running firefox from a terminal (inside X). If it does not go straight to http://www.s.com , then check the command that is being executed from the icon.

I just ran into a system that was doing the same thing (F9), and the command was:

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/firefox "%s"
Check the docs to see if you want to replace it with another token (e.g. %F, %U). I just changed it to

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/firefox
*EDIT*:

Correction - The firefox path above should not be executed directly, but instead by the script found in

/usr/bin/firefox
So, it appears the correct command is path-less, since /usr/bin should be in the path...
Final command:

firefox %u

Astrals
12th October 2008, 09:13 AM
I just had this problem did a bit of searching and of course turn on my second system for the answers to finish it.
Thanks for the help jcvlz, now I know where it goes wrong, then I compared the launcher properties from my other system.
Now I'm kicking myself for having a brain meltdown.
So here is my launcher properties:

Launcher Properties:
Type: Application
Name: Firefox Web Browser
Command: firefox %u
Comment: Browse the Web

This should sort out anybodies issues with the same problem.
:):):):)