PDA

View Full Version : more help needed on Install

Night Fire
16th May 2008, 04:34 PM
I have windows and F8 installed on my 1st harddrive. Have no issuse here.
I have partition my 2nd Harddrive to 3 equal parts. Now I would like to install F9 on the 2nd harddrive. I boot up with F9 and now I'm at the anaconda scrren asking where to install. What shoul I be selecting here? Custom or Free space? and what about the bootloader. Do I let that go to the master or First sector of boot partition. every time I do master I lose my other Fedora ver. I really need a step by step to figure out what um doing wrong, lol

Thanks

stoat
17th May 2008, 03:12 AM
I have partition my 2nd Harddrive to 3 equal parts. Now I would like to install F9 on the 2nd harddrive. I boot up with F9 and now I'm at the anaconda scrren asking where to install. What shoul I be selecting here? Custom or Free space?Hello Night Fire,

Well, you are probably not still staring at that anaconda screen ten hours later, but here is what I think about all that. It doesn't sound like you have any free space on that second drive. I mean, you said it is partitioned into three equal partitions (I think). When anaconda says "free space" it means unpartitioned space. It does not mean a partition with no files in it. See the difference? So, if I assumed right about your partitions and the second drive, then it will do you no good to choose that default layout option that uses free space.

The other option that you asked about is Create custom layout. I mean this in a friendly just-want-to-help way, but it sounds like you are not at a point in your Linux career to choose that yet. But that is up to you, of course. And if you insist on it, I am willing to talk more about that.

The other two default options that you did not mention will destroy one or both of your existing operating systems. So don't choose those.

I recommend that you create free space by deleting or shrinking existing partitions on that second drive, and choose the partition option Use free space on selected drives and create default layout. But that is just my opinion and recommendation, and apparently the only one you are going to get today.

and what about the bootloader. Do I let that go to the master or First sector of boot partition. every time I do master I lose my other Fedora ver.If that is not what you want, then you must stop it from happening. It's the default boot loader option and will always happen if you do nothing to stop it. If you do not want Fedora 9 to take over the boot loader chores, then watch for and choose the boot loader option Configure advanced boot loader options. On the next page, choose the option Install Boot Loader record on /dev/sd__ First sector of boot partition. That will do the following two important things...

Not harm the master boot record or the current boot loader
Cause a grub.conf file to be created for F9 (very handy when the time comes to add F9 to the F8 grub.conf)
I will stop here for now. If you do what I just recommended, Fedora 9 will not boot at first. But it will after you correctly edit the F8 grub.conf to add F9 to it. When you get to that point, come back if you need help with the F8 grub.conf.