PDA

View Full Version : [F9] Perl 5.10.0 issue

Rincewind
16th May 2008, 03:41 PM
So Fedora 9 introduced me to Perl version 5.10.0. Some of my scripts aren't working because of something that is not right in the perl packages I think.

Problem:
Scripts crash with this notice:

perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/Common/Common.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

To reproduce this problem, try:

perl -e "require XML::LibXML"

I did a clean install, and added some perl packages using YUM (and the Fedora repository). Installing perl-XML-LibXML did not solve my problems.

After some digging I found the Common.so file perl is complaining about doesn't belong to any package:

[me@localhost ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/Common/Common.so
file /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/LibXML/Common/Common.so is not owned by any package

Which I think is strange, but maybe it's normal?

I think the " Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr " error is a result of it not being supported by Perl 5.10.0 but I'm not sure.

Anyone else can reproduce and verify this, so I know it's not my config but some package?

cable_txg
16th May 2008, 03:52 PM
I've not switched to Fedora 9, but here's what I did on Fedora 8 with no errors:
[cabletxg@localhost testIncoming]$ rpm -qa | grep perl | grep XML
perl-XML-XQL-0.68-4.fc7
perl-XML-Parser-2.34-8
perl-XML-SAX-0.16-2.fc8
perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.09-2.fc8.1
perl-XML-LibXML-1.62001-2.fc8.3
perl-XML-LibXML-Common-0.13-9
perl-XML-RegExp-0.03-2.fc8.1
perl-XML-DOM-1.44-2.fc8.1
[cabletxg@localhost testIncoming]$ perl -e "require XML::LibXML"
[cabletxg@localhost testIncoming]$

Hope that helps you out :)

Rincewind
16th May 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry. It just dawned at me I installed the VMware Perl Toolkit which uses an install script (hence the "this file does not belong to any package").

After de-installing that using the uninstall script my problem went away, I guess I have to wait for VMware to release a new version of their toolkit...

cable_txg
16th May 2008, 04:09 PM
Forgive me, but what has VMware perl installation script got to do with Perl? Do you have some or all of the rpms I listed earlier? Unless you are trying to say there's something being used within the code that's not being used in perl 5.10!

Rincewind
18th May 2008, 01:24 PM
Forgive me, but what has VMware perl installation script got to do with Perl? Do you have some or all of the rpms I listed earlier? Unless you are trying to say there's something being used within the code that's not being used in perl 5.10!

The VMware VI Perl Toolkit installs certain Perl libraries (among others, the Common.so file which gave me trouble).

After un-installing the VMware created libraries I could not reproduce the error anymore.

I'm by no means a Perl expert, but to me it looks like the Common.so library created by VMware is using code that is not supported by Perl 5.10.0 (which is used in Fedora 9).

After un-installing the VMware created libraries I could not reproduce the error anymore.

Rincewind
21st May 2008, 09:27 PM
If somebody is experiencing the same issues I had, this might be a solution for you:

I've found you can download a source package of the VI Perl Toolkit, which if you follow the provided instructions compiles without trouble on Fedora 9 and perl 5.10.0.

jwhite@jimmy
8th August 2008, 09:35 PM
This same error occurred when I tried to run one of my previously fully-functional Perl/DBI scripts. I decided to re-install the DBI/DBD modules.

Joe White

leif81
1st December 2008, 10:22 PM
I just ran into this issue again. Last time was on Fedora 9, this time on Fedora 10. This was my solution:

1. Install the missing perl dependencies from YUM. These were the ones missing from my particular system. Your mileage may vary.

$ yum install perl-XML-LibXML perl-Crypt-SSLeay perl-Class-MethodMaker

2. Rerun the vmware RCLI install process. For some reason just installing the above and rerunning vmware-cmd fails with the same error. So rerun the installer.

$ cd vmware-rcli-distrib
$ sudo ./vmware-install.pl

3. Run vmware-cmd now and it should work