PDA

View Full Version : Totem-xine in F9

Wayne
16th May 2008, 08:43 AM
OK. I have F9 up and running and I'm doing my usual post install extras installation and now I'm at installing totem-xine from Livna. In the past we had to remove the installed version of Totem (taking Rhythmbox with it) and then installing Totem-xine plus Rhythmbox again. This time I issue the command:

yum remove totem

and I get:

Removing:
totem i386 2.23.2-2.fc9 installed 5.5 M
Removing for dependencies:
totem-gstreamer i386 2.23.2-2.fc9 installed 131 k
totem-nautilus i386 2.23.2-2.fc9 installed 48 k
Is it normal to remove all 3 packages?

Wayne

Wayne
16th May 2008, 08:58 AM
I went ahead and removed totem and those dependencies and when I installed totem-xine it reinstalled everything but totem-nautilus.

Wayne

RahulSundaram
16th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Note that totem-xine is actually part ot Fedora 9 repository itself.

# yum info totem-xine

Wayne
16th May 2008, 01:57 PM
I had to do:

rpm -e --nodeps totem-gstreamer

to get totem to use the xine library, don't know if that was correct :)

Not that it matters, Totem, Mplayer and Xine all crash when trying to play a DVD citing insufficient resources :( I was forced to install VLC, which I do not like.

Edit: Well, VLC works but is slow and jerky... probably due to the cr*ppy onboard Intel 815 video :( I may go back to F8 and plug my Radeon 7200 back in (using the F7 xorg-x11-drv-ati driver) I had to reduce colour depth with the i815 to get reasonable redraw speed :(

Wayne

RahulSundaram
16th May 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi,

You don't have to use --nodeps at all. If totem-xine is installed, it automatically gets priority over gstreamer. You can see this in the about box. Now the other issue you are talking about seems to a Xorg driver issue. If you are using compiz, try turning it off. Otherwise file a bug report against whatever driver you are using at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Wayne
16th May 2008, 02:08 PM
After installing totem-xine the about box still said it was using the gstreamer backend. My machine is in no way powerful enough to attempt to run compiz and it never gets installed here :)

Also see the edit to my previous post about VLC..

Wayne

Wayne
16th May 2008, 02:30 PM
Whooa! Ran xine and the whole screen went fuzzy and was flashing like crazy! Couldn't stop it but eventually the whole machine locked up and I had to hit the main switch on the back panel! Been a while since I had to do that!

Wayne

RahulSundaram
16th May 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi,

File bug reports. You definitely have driver issues.

Wayne
16th May 2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry Rahul, I'm not going to waste time filing bug reports that get ignored or are flagged as low priority. Maybe it's low priority for the devs but as a user it's a PIA not being able to use hardware that was supported just fine up to F7. I filed a bug report last December and it's still 'Assigned' with no resolution in sight!

Don't take this personally :)

Wayne

PeTzZz
17th May 2008, 01:52 PM
If totem-xine is installed, it automatically gets priority over gstreamer. You can see this in the about box.
I have installed totem-xine and it doesn't get priority over the default one in my case too. About box still says that it uses gstreamer.

I will file a bug later today then.

PeTzZz
17th May 2008, 03:02 PM
I will file a bug later today then.
Done (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=447058). I forgot to mention there that I used the about box to check that it is not enabled, but I hope it is understandable. Can be detailed later if needed.

Firewing1
17th May 2008, 03:42 PM
Totem-xine and totem-gstreamer play nice together now, so you can install both backends:

yum install totem-xine totem-gstremer
And then choose the default one:

su -c "totem-backend -b xine"
Firewing1

Driftwould
17th May 2008, 05:26 PM
Sweet!, Thanks Firewing1. I thought was going to have to wait for updated packages. Can I do the same thing with VLC and Gnome-Mplayer.