PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 9

gavinjb
16th May 2008, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I have been playing with Fedora 9 for the past couple of days and I can say that so far I am very impressed and looking at installing when my new larger HD arrives, but I have a couple of questions, can someone please help

1. The TrueCrypt website only has installs for Ubutnu or SuSE, as I have had loads of problems installing form source for apps in the past I would rather use binaries if possible, which is the better to use.

would it be safe to install the suse.rpm file or should I do a alien -i ubuntu.deb file

2. Media Codecs - I have found in the faq's info on how to setup dvd playback and mp3, but cant see anything on how to play wma etc... how do I set this up, in Ubuntu I would just do a apt-get install w32codec, but I have noticed that this package is not available in the Fedora repositories (I need to check if it is legal in the uk or if I need to buy the codecs from fluendo.com)

3. DVD Player as my Laptop is a Dell supplied Laptop it came with Ubuntu and LinDVD player which I like, I know you cant purchase this currently, so does anyone have a particular DVD player they would recommend

4. Screenlets - I am looking for a widget manager for gnome and have used screenlets in the past, can anyone recommend any, I would rather not used gdesklets if I can help it

5. Has anyone successfully installed a HP Laserjet 1020 with Fedora 9, I only ask I know on there website it has info on how to set it up with Fedora, but it also has info for SuSE which I never could get it to work with.

6. Backups - I have been playing with TimeVault on Ubuntu to make snapshots of files that are changed, is there anything similar on Fedora or can anyone point me in a direction to set something up.

Thanks for the Help,

Gavin,

RobertoVanto
16th May 2008, 08:11 AM
2) http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=185043

5) http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/fedora/hp1020.html

muep
16th May 2008, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I have been playing with Fedora 9 for the past couple of days and I can say that so far I am very impressed and looking at installing when my new larger HD arrives, but I have a couple of questions, can someone please help

1. The TrueCrypt website only has installs for Ubutnu or SuSE, as I have had loads of problems installing form source for apps in the past I would rather use binaries if possible, which is the better to use.

would it be safe to install the suse.rpm file or should I do a alien -i ubuntu.deb file

I'd advise to never install a package that is not made for your Linux distribution.

I'm not exactly aware of what TrueCrypt does, but Fedora supports fully encrypted hard disks. So if that's what you are looking for, you don't necessarily need TrueCrypt.

2. Media Codecs - I have found in the faq's info on how to setup dvd playback and mp3, but cant see anything on how to play wma etc... how do I set this up, in Ubuntu I would just do a apt-get install w32codec, but I have noticed that this package is not available in the Fedora repositories (I need to check if it is legal in the uk or if I need to buy the codecs from fluendo.com)

You don't need w32codecs for almost anything. At least I have been without it for years. If you use the GStreamer based media players that ship in a Fedora default install, the ffmpeg GStreamer plugin is able to at least decode wmv. Probably also wma.

For some reason, some people seem too eager to install binary windows decoders for their Linux systems, even when there is an open source Linux solution available.

3. DVD Player as my Laptop is a Dell supplied Laptop it came with Ubuntu and LinDVD player which I like, I know you cant purchase this currently, so does anyone have a particular DVD player they would recommend

I have been using both Totem and VLC to watch DVDs.

4. Screenlets - I am looking for a widget manager for gnome and have used screenlets in the past, can anyone recommend any, I would rather not used gdesklets if I can help it

Not sure about what to advise... these are usually not very useful, and many widget engines seem to take much resources. I currently use the Plasma system in KDE 4, but can't really say much about it due to the little testing I have done. Seems good.

5. Has anyone successfully installed a HP Laserjet 1020 with Fedora 9, I only ask I know on there website it has info on how to set it up with Fedora, but it also has info for SuSE which I never could get it to work with.

I know that a Laserjet 1022 can work just fine, provided that the computer has a USB 2 connection.

6. Backups - I have been playing with TimeVault on Ubuntu to make snapshots of files that are changed, is there anything similar on Fedora or can anyone point me in a direction to set something up.

Fedora 9 doesn't seem to have Timevault in its repositories, but maybe someone can recommend something else.

Gavin,[/QUOTE]

gavinjb
16th May 2008, 08:41 AM
Hi muep,

Thanks for the info.

TrueCrypt (truecrypt.org) is an util to create encrypt volumes and encrypted files, basically you can encrypt an hd partition (which I use for my external hd and the s/w is avaiable for both win and lin), you can also create an encrypted file which can be mounted as a drive.

This is a application which I use on a regular basis and am looking for an easy way to install, you don't recommend using alien then to convert a .deb file into a .rpm

Note: I have just found this link, but it is for Fedora 8 would I be able to install without problems on 9

http://www.howtoforge.com/encrypting-file-systems-with-truecrypt-on-fedora8

kr4ey
16th May 2008, 02:24 PM
Installation of DVD Player's and Media Codecs. Plus other useful Fedora 9 info.

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f9.html