PDA

View Full Version : How to use persistance in F9liveUSB?

pharaohsd
16th May 2008, 07:05 AM
firstly excuse my stupidity,

i recently downloaded the f9 32bit gnome live cd, and i downloaded the fedora live usb creator found here https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator

made the live usb with 600mb+ persistence overlay space..

i can boot and use the live usb perfectly, but it doesn't save anything!! like i installed new programs / changed wallpaper / edited some config files but it doesn't automatically get saved to the persistence file....

I am wondering if there is a command i am supposed to execute every time i changed something so it gets saved to persistence

thanks

ryptyde
16th May 2008, 12:19 PM
I have been "toying" with the persistent usb install and have installed new packages and they appear on subsequent reboots. Minor desktop changes and how Nautilus behaves have persisted too. I have used use Dangermouse's install script to enable my wireless card and it persists also.

The most recent/final release of F9 LiveCD was installed to a 2GB pendrive from a F9 hdd install using this command:

livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 1024 Fedora-9-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1
the device sdb1 was my usb device as listed after running:

df -h
in a terminal.

I have run "updates" and let it install a new Kernel but don't see it listed at boot time there are areas with the persistent usb install that I don't understand yet but am finding out as we go along. :)

rohan000
17th May 2008, 06:44 AM
My USB installation also does not save any persistent data.
I created it through the Windows liveusb-creator program (https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator) with a 400 Mb persistent overlay. It doesn't save desktop settings, programs installed, or even files saved in the home directory.

rohan000
17th May 2008, 07:28 AM
I had this problem and was able to fix it by removing spaces in the name of my USB drive.

Originally my USB stick was called "USB DRIVE" (with a space in it). When Fedora booted off it, it would say something like "unable to find persistent data, using temporary". So I re-named my USB stick "USBDRIVE" (without the space), re-installed Fedora live onto it, and now it works...