PDA

View Full Version : My fedora 8-9 yum upgrade.

leadgolem
16th May 2008, 06:38 AM
I thought I would document the issues I encounter doing a fedora 8 to fedora 9 upgrade via yum. I use several third party repos, so hopefully this information will be helpful to others. I'm also using a x86_64 system.

First I did this.
rpm -Uhv ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-*.noarch.rpmThen I cleaned my yum.
yum clean allThen I did this.
yum updateThe result was a rather long list of dependency errors. I also had to disable my planetccrma and compiz-fusion repos for f8. So I tried breaking it down to a more manageable level with this.
yum groupupdate BaseThat terminated in this error.
Error: Missing Dependency: libldap-2.3.so.0()(64bit) is needed by package cupsSo I did this.
yum remove cupsWhich resulted in this.
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ===========================
Removing:
cups x86_64 1:1.3.7-2.fc8 installed 12 M
Removing for dependencies:
bluez-utils-cups x86_64 3.20-7.fc8 installed 44 k
gedit x86_64 1:2.20.4-1.fc8 installed 13 M
gnome-utils x86_64 1:2.20.0.1-3.fc8 installed 12 M
hal-cups-utils x86_64 0.6.13-2.fc8 installed 80 k
libgnomecups x86_64 0.2.2-11.fc8 installed 201 k
libgnomeprint22 x86_64 2.18.4-1.fc8 installed 1.2 M
libgnomeprintui22 x86_64 2.18.1-1.fc8 installed 1.2 M
redhat-lsb x86_64 3.1-19.fc8 installed 529 kSo I let those things be removed, then reinstalled them.
yum install cups bluez-utils-cups gedit gnome-utils hal-cups-utils libgnomecups libgnomeprint22 libgnomeprintui22 redhat-lsbThat went smoothly. There is a know issue with the thunderbird package, so I removed/installed it separately aswell.
yum remove thunderbird
yum install thunderbirdI also recieved dependency errors for an older version of virtualbox that I was using and xdtv. I don't need xdtv anymore, and I won't need virtualbox for a while, so I removed both of those.
yum remove xdtv VirtualBoxI ran into the same cups dep error again when running the groupupdate Base. I then realized I needed to disable the presto repo I had setup as it was for fedora 8 only. So I commented the line "baseurl=http://dl.anmar.eu.org/repos/f8/updates-x86_64" in fedora-updates.repo and uncommented the "mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch" line. I then removed cups manually, as it was still the f8 version and reinstalled it.
rpm -e --nodeps cups
yum install cupsI was then able to resolve all the deps. The resulting install, which consists of 527mb of packages, is currently running.

I will add more as I get farther in the process.

leadgolem
17th May 2008, 03:21 AM
The above "yum groupupdate" completed successfully. I then ran.
yum update And got this.
Error: Missing Dependency: libGLEW.so.1.4()(64bit) is needed by package gimp-normalmapThe gimp-normalmap package is one I made myself, so I will recompile it against the newer libGLEW files later.
yum remove gimp-normalmapI was then able to get the rest of the dependencies to resolve. I am currently downloading the 2.2 gb in updates.:)

ajamison
17th May 2008, 03:35 AM
try instead of yum update to do yum upgrade

when going from one distrobution version to another this option is best as it is a little better at housekeeping and if i am not mistaken removes orphanded files and ones no longer neccessary for the install

leadgolem
17th May 2008, 04:35 AM
Hmm, I suppose it is.
update If run without any packages, update will update every currently
installed package. If one or more packages are specified, Yum
will only update the listed packages. While updating packages,
yum will ensure that all dependencies are satisfied. If no
package matches the given package name(s), they are assumed to
be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

If the --obsoletes flag is present yum will include package
obsoletes in its calculations - this makes it better for dis-
tro-version changes, for example: upgrading from somelinux 8.0
to somelinux 9.

upgrade
Is the same as the update command with the --obsoletes flag set.
See update for more details.

ajamison
17th May 2008, 05:41 AM
was just a suggestion that i had found useful in the past

leadgolem
17th May 2008, 01:34 PM
Ok, the update errored out with this.
Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/share/man/man1/curl.1.gz from install of curl-7.18.1-1.fc9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package curl-7.17.1-3.fc8.i386
file /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.0.1 from install of libcurl-7.18.1-1.fc9.i386 conflicts with file from package curl-7.17.1-3.fc8.i386So I'm running.
yum upgradeTo see if the obsoletes will take care of it.

EDIT: The obsoletes did not take care of it. It has a lot of deps so I did this.
rpm -e --nodeps curl.x86_64 curl.i386Then ran the upgrade again. The curl package does have alot of deps so it should be installed as a dep during the upgrade process.

leadgolem
18th May 2008, 08:09 AM
The upgrade completed successfully, however I had issues with my nvidia driver. I used this guide (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=894829&postcount=2) to get it working.

I guess I should have done a bit more research before upgrading...

MrGroover
18th May 2008, 02:30 PM
I had the same problem with Cups. Instead of removing it, I downgraded to the previous version with smart and then did the upgrade to F9, which went smoothly.