PDA

View Full Version : im-chooser problem

1morelinuxuser
16th May 2008, 04:17 AM
I am trying swith input method to scim. I had no problems with that in fedora 7 and 8 but now when I run im-chooser on fedora 9 (fresh install, 64bit), it gives this error.

(im-chooser:2847): IMSettings-WARNING **: Failed to invoke a method `WhatInputMethodIsRunning':
Failed to open file '/tmp/scim_conf:xim::0.0-shawn': No such file or directory

Any ideas? Thanks.

icydog
16th May 2008, 04:46 AM
I get segfault after this, every time. Someone said renaming the /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/xim.conf file fixes the segfault, but it still dies every time for me.

1morelinuxuser
16th May 2008, 06:28 AM
ha ha, i tried it as well and it didn't work for me, either. Is this a bug?

kfir_w
16th May 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I can't write Chinese in Fedora 9.
I used to work with Ubuntu, and using SCIM there was no problem.
I recently installed fedora 9 x86_64 and now I can't write Chinese.
SCIM doesn't load (scim-setup does) and im-chooser just waits a while
and then dissapears.

What's the trick?

Thanks,

Kfir

scottro
17th May 2008, 01:37 AM
For Japanese, all I do is start scim with scim -d

Then I have it set for scim-anthy (the Japanese input editor). At some point or another, I just clicked on scim and it gave me that option.

I didn't need the im-chooser--I only found that I needed that with Ubuntu.

I also had to set the following (I do it on a case by case basis, so have it in a little script.)

XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8

On some applications, I have to use LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8.

So, I guess (hopefully, someone who uses it for Chinese might have a better answer for you) you could try the scim -d thing and see if it creates an icon--if it does, perhaps it will give you the option to use whatever input manager you are used to having.

kfir_w
17th May 2008, 07:42 AM
Well, after some struggle I managed to get the daemon running, but the input-method window doesn't show up.
Is it something in the settings?

scottro
17th May 2008, 01:41 PM
As I'm dealing with a different language, I'm not sure this will help you either, but...
What I do find is that I have to set those variables I mentioned above, especially the XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'. If you're always inputting Chinese, you can put it in your .bash_profile.

Now, not all applications will accept Japanese input. I have my default LC_CTYPE set to en_US.utf8 which works in most applications that will accept Japanese input, Openofffice being an exception. One problem I've noticed lately in Fedora is that I also have to edit (if the file is already there) or create a file, $HOME/.scim/config.

In there I put the line
/Hotkeys/FrontEnd/Trigger = Control+space

If I do something like
XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 uxterm

all on one line
and then hit ctl+space, the Japanese input dialog comes up. Also, in Gnome, at least, the little scim icon is usually there on the upper right, and if I right click on it, I'm able to do the setup.

Have you tried, once the daemon is running, to do scim-setup?

kfir_w
17th May 2008, 02:15 PM
Hi,
I tried what you suggested but no change.
I run īscim-dī on starup, and I get the icon. I can right-click it and enter setup,
but no matter what I do, I canīt get the input menu.
I also canīt run im-chooser, I get:

(im-chooser:9907): IMSettings-WARNING **: Failed to invoke a method `WhatInputMethodIsRunning':
Failed to open file '/tmp/scim_conf:xim::0.0-kfir': No such file or directory
I read somewhere there might be a bug with īen_US.utf8ī. What else can I use?

donalliang
17th May 2008, 02:52 PM
Hi there!
The same thing happened to my box, either. When I launch im-chooser, The Bug Buddy comes up telling me the im-chooser has crashed and I get a long list of bug-report.
BTW, I'm running i386 version.

donalliang
17th May 2008, 03:48 PM
Fixed just through switching to Chinese interface session and then going back to English version.
Under Chinese language, system loaded some new stuff the SCIM have to live with. By default, the SCIM has been loaded automatically into this non-English interface where SCIM appeared as expected. i.e. a user is not able to call SCIM out directly in an English environment without a switching procedure.
Can it be called a bug?

Casper Gasper
17th May 2008, 04:36 PM
Apparently this has been fixed in testing:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=445129

Casper.

scottro
17th May 2008, 05:49 PM
Apparently there is a bug. Look for today's posts and another one on im-chooser.
I don't use im-chooser, so it hasn't affected me.

icydog
17th May 2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks, will give it a try

kfir_w
17th May 2008, 08:27 PM
How do I switch to a Chinese session (forgive the stupid question, I'm new to Fedora)?
Do I have to logout/reboot before switching back to English?

kfir_w
17th May 2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know what happened, but for some reason it finally works!!
but it doesn't work in firefox. why?

scottro
17th May 2008, 09:29 PM
Sometimes, one application or another won't work. One test is to try something like XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM' LC_CTYPE=whatever_you_use, e.g., en_US.utf8 GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" firefox
and see if that helps. (Usually, I don't find the GTK_IM_MODULE to be necessary, but it might help, especially with a GTK application.)

icydog
18th May 2008, 12:26 AM
The -4 package from updates-testing seems to work for me in KDE.

Wayne
18th May 2008, 01:23 AM
I've merged these two threads as they appear to be the same problem..

Edit: Also, I've had no problems with scim-anthy in F9 so far... even in Firefox.. Running i386.

Wayne

scottro
18th May 2008, 02:30 AM
Hrrm, I've been playing with my CentOS box lately, so haven't investigated.
It's probably something affecting all you wimps using Gnome. (Not that I know any of you do, but it should make Wayne snicker.)

Oh gosh, I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing the above--now watch it not work for me either.

(How do you make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.)

Wayne
18th May 2008, 02:54 AM
Hrrm, I've been playing with my CentOS box lately, so haven't investigated.
It's probably something affecting all you wimps using Gnome. (Not that I know any of you do, but it should make Wayne snicker.)

Oh gosh, I hope I haven't jinxed myself by writing the above--now watch it not work for me either.

(How do you make God laugh? Tell Him your plans.)

Umm, now I'm going to jinx your Fedora install!

Works fine for me in Gnome :)

Wayne

scottro
18th May 2008, 03:46 AM
Ok it still works for me.

However, in firefox, I do have to specify an LC_CTYPE of ja_JP.utf8. Unlike most apps, it won't work if I do my usual en_US.utf8.

So, try something like
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 firefox

and see if that brings you joy.

Casper Gasper
18th May 2008, 02:17 PM
Good suggestion -- logging into a Chinese language session fixed this for me too. Anyone else having trouble should try that first.

Casper.

ranfow
20th May 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for Casper, it fixed after I logged into Chinese language session. Now I can start im-chooser without crash.

Wayne
22nd May 2008, 08:31 AM
Can anyone confirm if today's update fixed it for them?

Wayne