PDA

View Full Version : disaster recovery?

lancerus
16th May 2008, 02:12 AM
I'm looking for a suggestion for handling full backups and doing disaster recovery.

Take for example if the system is a server, and I want to use "something" for backups.
Lets say the hard drive fails ....
Then I need to use "something" to do the restore from those backups.

How would I do this? What are my options here? I'm surrounded with a bunch of microsoft folks who are used to using ghost for imaging and backup/restore ... but I'm trying to bring linux into the fold. This is just one of the battles I need to get thru.

I started reading about amanda .. making use of level 0 dumps on the filesystems ... but if I go with something like this, how do I do the bare metal restore (with hopefully minimal effort as quickly as possible) while dealing with LVM, etc ?

Thanks!

Firewing1
16th May 2008, 04:08 AM
I have a backups program called fwbackups that is in the Fedora repositories, it is capable of automated backup and restores and has a GUI. If you want to keep all metadata and xattrs in place, I would recommend using tar (with or without compression) as your backend.

If you're looking for a more powerful, Norton Ghost-like tool then you're looking for the 'dd' utility which is essentially the Linux version of Ghost minus a graphical interface.

dd if=/dev/partition of=/place/to/save/file bs=32768
That command will read input block device "/dev/partition" 32KB at a time and save the resulting image as "file" in /place/to/save/.
Firewing1